Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Serious problem with aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

"I'm really really hoping that when I disconnect the battery, install the stock O2 sensors with the extenders, and then connect the battery back up...that the Electronic Throttle Control will be gone."

Correct. And if this dosent fix it, THEN get the ETC issue checked out. You should be fine, just be patient.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
2008blowingN20

i know i installed a CAi specific tune on my car without actualy have a CAI and my car went haywire i didnt make it down the street before i had to pull over and reflash. Just a thought
Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Why did you connect o2 sensors to a catless exhaust? Most people disconnect them and disable the sensors with the tune. If it's running fine why are you still asking for advice?
Because I thought (and was told by an ex-ford mechanic friend) that I should put them on for the drive to the tuner shop which was gonna be the next day. When I put them on and drove around...it seemed fine. Only problem occurred when my O2 sensors went out. And now, it doesn't drive well because there are the incorrect O2 sensors in and (I think) because of that the Electronic Throttle Control is on. So I'm pretty sure I need to get the Electronic Throttle Control to go off before they can tune the car. Re-flashing the computer didn't get rid of it.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:38 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
my exhaust still has 4 O2 sensors, and i have LT's and o/r x pipe. all 4 of my sensors are in, but the rear ones are turned off, runs great.

OP: if you reset the CEL and its running fine i wouldnt worry about it. you could dyno it again to check, but if you reset it and it comes on again then something's wrong.
Okay...I said "It is running fine--EXCEPT the ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL is still on ...lol...That means it is running fine, EXCEPT for that. If you don't know what the ETC is ...well, basically you get no A/C, no Air intake ( i think ) and its horrible gas mileage and you drive at higher RPMs and feels like you are driving with about 1/5 of your power. It takes forever to get to high speeds and you're basically having to floor the pedal to speed up at a "normal" rate.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Btw, yes, I have all 4 of my O2 Sensors on these. I just have the wrong ones in (Bosch apparently don't work?)

I need extenders for them because they moved down a bit so they don't all match up anymore.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008blowingN20
i know i installed a CAi specific tune on my car without actualy have a CAI and my car went haywire i didnt make it down the street before i had to pull over and reflash. Just a thought
Good to know. But that really doesn't help me since my car runs horrible without a tune, and runs about the same with my old tune. Either way, I CANT get my car tuned by a dyno until the Electronic Throttle Control is taken off. Which flashing the computer did not do.

Basically I'm wondering why this could have happened, where the actual problem is, what needs to be replaced, where I could go for help, etc.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Look PCM's are very sensitive to electrical shocks, even static electricity can damage it. When those wire all fused together means you had power & ground wires touching each other which will send power up the neg/ground wire and neg/ground up the power wire and if there are no fuses between them and the PCM it will damage it. I would check all your fuses and see if any are blown and then I would pray to the car gods you did not burn out the electronic throttle control unit.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by MuchToLearn
Btw, yes, I have all 4 of my O2 Sensors on these. I just have the wrong ones in (Bosch apparently don't work?)

I need extenders for them because they moved down a bit so they don't all match up anymore.
Bosch are fine, I've used them on all of my fords when the 02's needed replacing and never had a problem. 90% of the claims that a foreign part doesnt' work in our cars (like NGK, Bosch, and others) are unfounded and simply perpetuated by those that think that because Ford didn't make it, it's import junk. Most of what ford sells is made somewhere else to begin with.

The MIL's may have introduced addtional resistance (in OHMS) and are buggin out the readings from the sensors. Bosh typcially offers various lengths of the same O2 sensor to accomodate longer or shorter runs with less resistance than running extensions.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
flogduh
1st Gear Member

vewry, vwery, interesting
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Bosch are fine, I've used them on all of my fords when the 02's needed replacing and never had a problem. 90% of the claims that a foreign part doesnt' work in our cars (like NGK, Bosch, and others) are unfounded and simply perpetuated by those that think that because Ford didn't make it, it's import junk. Most of what ford sells is made somewhere else to begin with.

The MIL's may have introduced addtional resistance (in OHMS) and are buggin out the readings from the sensors. Bosh typcially offers various lengths of the same O2 sensor to accomodate longer or shorter runs with less resistance than running extensions.

I don't have MIL Eliminators.

Quick Reply: Serious problem with aftermarket exhaust