Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Default New PCM?

So if you didn't read my other thread, my PCM could be needing to be replaced. If I do need to replace it, should I let the dealership do it and put a stock one in? Do "better" PCMs exist? Is this a good time to replace it with a "better" PCM?

And lastly, could I install a PCM myself?

Sorry if the questions above appear moronic, my ignorance in everything PCM is vast.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

So if you didn't read my other thread, my PCM could be needing to be replaced.

If I do need to replace it, should I let the dealership do it and put a stock one in?

yes, it should only cost 1 hour labor for that, the flashing
might be a little more on top of that.

Do "better" PCMs exist? Is this a good time to replace it with a "better" PCM?

i don't believe so

And lastly, could I install a PCM myself?

sure, it's pretty much a straighforward operation. the question
is, would it be setup with your stock calibration or not.

Sorry if the questions above appear moronic, my ignorance in everything PCM is vast.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Ahhh...Well. I got back from the dealership, just drove her home. No CEL are on except the Airbag and the Electronic Throttle Control. I'm HOPING this means that there are no problems with any electrical things....like the PCM, Throttle body, or any of the wiring.

I still fail to see how the Bad O2 Sensors could destroy wiring or complex computer components like the PCM!!!! It seems like there would be fail-safes somewhere to stop that -_-

Whatever. I'm going to install the stock O2 sensors back on when the extenders come in. (hopefully tomorrow, maybe thursday.) I'll disconnect the battery before install and hook it up after. See if that clears the "Electronic Throttle Control" problem...if not...well, that probably means there is a problem with some electrical problem...which would really suck, because it sounds and looks like they won't even touch the car or do any diagnostics or anything until my car is back to stock -_-
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Did they give you a list of DTC's?If you grounded out a wire(if it was a Vref,or any powered wire and grounded it,thats going to cause some issues.If you can give me the DTC's they retrieved for you(the codes from your CEL)I can look at some wiring diagrams and see exactly whats going on.Do you remember which side contacted the pipe?You also say you have an airbag light on?It sounds like you have some serious issues going on.Let me know.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Yep. The airbag light is on...but I believe that was on before. Someone spun the wheel while the Steering shaft was out -_- She walked over and spun it and I was like "NOOOOO!!!!" lol...

The O2 sensors went out on both sides...both of them that went out were the ones on the headers.

Yes, I asked for the sheet that they had of the printed out codes that were on it when I brought the car in. I also asked for the sheet that had the codes that were taken OFF when they flashed it. They said they couldn't find either one -_-

So I can't give you the list. I will ask them tomorrow or Thursday when I go back up there to pick up an O2 Sensor, but I doubt they will be able to suddenly find it in that time. She looked for a good 15 minutes.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Both harness's contacted the exhaust?So do you have an SES on right now?Is the harness still burned or did they replace them?As far as the airbag light on,you will most likely need a clockspring.When the sterring wheel got disturbed while the shaft was undone it probley busted the clockspring.Did you did this or did the dealer do that?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Aftermarket PCM's: Hydra Nemesis, Big Stuff 3

I don't know enough, I'd stay with the Ford one, the stock Motorola "Spanish Oak" PCM (MPC-565)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbotbirdguy79
Both harness's contacted the exhaust?So do you have an SES on right now?Is the harness still burned or did they replace them?As far as the airbag light on,you will most likely need a clockspring.When the sterring wheel got disturbed while the shaft was undone it probley busted the clockspring.Did you did this or did the dealer do that?
My father and I installed the exhaust. The wheel was turned while I was under the car.

SES? Harness? The extenders got burned at one part and the wires were exposed on those parts. The O2 Sensors themselves are fine.

If the clockspring is damaged, will it only cause a problem with the airbag or will my turning be effected? Could anything with the clockspring have anything to do with the car running incorrectly or running in the "Electronic Throttle Control" or "Limp-home" mode?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

? ? ?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Damaged clockspring is air bag and cruise control related.
The Workshop Manual explains all.

DTC Code Charts