Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tips for "Aluminator"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
Why supercharge it with a roush? That like putting lipstick.......... err I'd look into a f1 or turbo. Also the aluminator is a good block but as stated before the livernois or even MMR is better. Not to bust your ***** but frpp does a good job, but aftermarket will build it stronger. Also, if money isnt a problem then why joke about a loan? The DOHC motor is stout but the wiring harness required and ecu will give you fits. Whenever you drop a motor in a car that doesn't belong there you will spend more than someone that is going with a "spec' motor.
I'm with him, aftermarket is simply built to a tighter tolerance, if you can't tell by my short block i'm not about to drop that kind of cash into a factory tolerance motor. And I don't think anyone's trying to be an *** about any of this, they are simply trying to suggest the best possible thing you can get for your money.

Last edited by EagleStroker; 09-19-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

FRPP parts are simply over-rated.

For their price, i´d rather pay for parts that are prooven to perform and last much better.

I´m not saying an aluminator is a bad engine, but when we spend 5K+ in a mod in our cars, we simpley want the best of the best out there.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hope you have a top notch electrical man for that swap.
Otherwise you will have to gut the inturment cluster for
aftermarket guages to get a working insturment cluster.
The electronics in thew S197s are not friendly to engine
swaps.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't get MMR or the built Alluminator but your stuck on the Aluminator so good luck.

For 700 hp I would look further into the twin screw blowers. The 3.4 whipple will give you lower air inlet temperatures, helping with the heat issue. The Roush TVS is a good blower but I wouldn't choose it over the whipple.

At 700 hp you will be going through clutches like crazy. That is, if you are really driving the car to it's potential. The most consistant thing you could get is 4r70w with a manual valve body. This will let you "drive" the vehicle as you put it. It will hold more power than most manual trannies and can have less maintaince if set up properly.

Modular engine building has only been accomplished by a few companies with great success. Lots of people make them, but few make them that last, make big power and are free of issues. Good luck. You will need it.

As far as tips on building the motor. There aren't many folks here that have done it themselves.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The fastest S17 is running an alluminator - Justin at JPC

He is pushing 1000 RWHP on it. Seems to me that the tolerances must be acceptable.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller

He is pushing 1000 RWHP on it. Seems to me that the tolerances must be acceptable.
I'm definitely in no way insinuating that they aren't acceptable, but I know what mine are, and I know what they were on my motor stock, and going off that would not trust that when it comes to building a motor I intend to last and also be a solid base for some power adders. It's just my .02 nothing more. It's an impressive motor no doubt, just not my cup of tea
Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by allaflhollows
I'll probably spend about $12000 on the Engine/Trans/Supercharger.

This is gonna be a huge project for me, loan agency here I come!

Also I'm going with a manual because its just fun and you actually drive the car and not sit a long for the ride. I really hate that I can't do that right now.
I spent about 8000 on the blower and supporting mods 3000 on the tranny and 1000 on the torque converter. Not counting a motor.
When I drive you have to hold onto something with both hands

The price really starts to climb when everything breaks.... and everything will break ... atleast once

Last edited by sevenleaf; 09-19-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

DOHC s197? I don't think the TVS roush will bolt on either...Just an afterthought. The 3.4 whipple or 2.3 KB 4v are the only option here. Unless it's the 5.4 aluminator, and that tangent is $15K alone

Originally Posted by zkiller

Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 PM
allaflhollows

I know none of you guys are being ******** and just trying to help. I really appreciate it.

I'm most likely going with the aluminator, I just love it. Take note that I'm probably going to do everything I can before I get the new engine, so something may come out in that time period. Also, I'm going to be running this thing as a track car I'm gonna need something else as my daily driver, RX-7 anyone?

But, If I do not get the aluminator I will probably drop a GT500 in there. This probably is the best choice for what I'm doing but, I'm stubborn and have to do things the hard way.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i can certainly relate to that! lol

good luck with the project, sounds very
interesting

Originally Posted by allaflhollows
I'm stubborn and have to do things the hard way.

Quick Reply: Tips for "Aluminator"