Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what HP can 4.6 handle..NOT THE USUAL QUESTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

from what I've read... its boost levels and detonation that commonly cause failures. typically the rods in the stock bottom end
Old 09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
from what I've read... its boost levels and detonation that commonly cause failures. typically the rods in the stock bottom end
Heat, Tune, running LEAN/ Detonation

But since so many people vary on boost levels and so many things can lower or raise boost I don't think you can say boost is a problem when getting ~500 rwhp on only ~9 psi is doable. I have to push ~13 PSI to get 500 rwhp.

Last edited by sevenleaf; 09-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Hp numbers are debatable. They depend on outside variables and the dyno you are on etc. The boost number however is not like that. Its consistant and easily measured. 10 PSI on the stock internals/block is a generally safe limit. hell they make "canned" tunes for that limit. Like stated some people run 13 psi and get 500 HP while others can run 10 and get the same HP. Both setups would worry about different things IMO. The 10 PSI setup is squeezing HP out of the tune while the 13 PSI is throwing alot of boost to get there with.

And in the end, it comes down to the driver and how the car is used. If it was me....make sure you have the cash lying around for a new engine if needed and run what you want whether it be 550 or 450 HP or 10 PSI or 13 PSI until something happens.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sevenleaf
If that helps you sleep at night.

I beat on my car at 440 rwhp and I beat it harder on 500 rwhp

It's a crap shoot tune has a good part in it but still when it goes it goes. I figured if I'm pushing 450 whats another 50 rwhp. I've done dozens on dozen WOT runs from rolls and deadstops at 500rwhp and no problems yet. Not to mention the car has been to the track once with a lot more track runs on their way. I feel just as at risk at 500 as I did at 450 but thats just me.

I do have a gauge on almost everything and will not beat on my car if anything reads high... I check fluids and everything, I change trans fluid often and oil ever 4k miles. I take care of my car but who wants to own a car you can't beat the crap out of? Not me

2007 Mustang 33k miles!

edit; I should add tho, I've had almost everything fail atleast once, I broke my input shaft which tore up the trans, toasted the torque converter, lost the alternator the battery, an FPDM, I went through two different fuel systems. I had one set of fuel injectors go bad (don't ask me how but enough did to warrant replacements) I had my MAF sensor, 2 sets of spark plugs, I replaced the COPS, TPS sensor, fuel pressure sensor. I replaced almost everything but the motor so far so it wasn't just throw a blower on and hope for the best.
Here's what I got out of this post.

"I claim to beat the hell out of my car but have only been to the track once. But I also take care of my car by being OCD about checking and changing fluids. While I have had a dozen systems fail in my car, I have not yet replaced the engine block so I am A-OK"

Congrats on having a 500rwhp car and I'm glad it's working out for you. But I think you are doing a disservice to the community by saying that 500rwhp is no more dangerous than 440rwhp.

Dont mind me, I am just having fun.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

First most important thing is a good tune, you can blow it at 2 psi with a bad tune. If the tune is good, then a safe limit like people say here is around 10psi max, you can try more boost but your just putting that much more stress and increasing your chances of failure. It also depends on the engine, one engine might hold up fine at 12 psi for a long time, but another could give it sooner, because every engine is different.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acrokat
Here's what I got out of this post.

"I claim to beat the hell out of my car but have only been to the track once. But I also take care of my car by being OCD about checking and changing fluids. While I have had a dozen systems fail in my car, I have not yet replaced the engine block so I am A-OK"

Congrats on having a 500rwhp car and I'm glad it's working out for you. But I think you are doing a disservice to the community by saying that 500rwhp is no more dangerous than 440rwhp.

Dont mind me, I am just having fun.

Exactly, I had more parts break at 440 rwhp then 500rwhp so I can say what my experience tells me.

I've been told the #1 way to take care of a transmission is to change the fluids often around 5000 miles often. I was told this by Tony who built my tranny I trust what he says. He also stated tune was very important for tranny's life of course I can only speak about the automatic I have.

I think changing the oil every 5k miles is also very important to keeping the car alive.

I also know a dozen 500 rwhp + mustangs that are holding up perfectly fine on the stock internals.

I also know a handful of motors that have blown anywhere from 450 rwhp - 500+ rwhp.

I still don't understand your post.

I consider a handful of WOT runs daily beating on a car. At 33k miles on my 07 mustang the MOTOR is holding up great. I do know it's going to blow but I felt like it was going to go at 440 rwhp. I also think if you don't have the money put away for a new engine with any blower your foolish in the first place I'm sorry if 33k miles doesn't prove I drive my car everywhere? I put a lot more stress on my car on the street then most people do at the track. The car gets alot hotter on the street then at the track so I miss your point.

I've also spent over a thousand dollar in tunes before I found one that worked great on my car where I felt comfortable.

Sorry if I stress that tune is one of the most important parts of keeping the car alive. You also missed my post let me quote:

"It's a crap shoot tune has a good part in it but still when it goes it goes. I figured if I'm pushing 450 whats another 50 rwhp. I've done dozens on dozen WOT runs from rolls and deadstops at 500rwhp and no problems yet. Not to mention the car has been to the track once with a lot more track runs on their way. I feel just as at risk at 500 as I did at 450 but that’s just me."

From my own observation I've noticed a lot more 500+ rwhp especially now with whipples new kit. I think as more time goes on there will be a lot more 500+ rwhp on stock internals, I'm also sure we will see a lot more blown motors too but that just forces people to rebuild anyways. If you can't pay for this hobby maybe you shouldn't be in it. The reason I state the parts that break on my car is so people can have a little idea of what they are getting into. The motor may not be the first thing to go that costs $$$$.

I apologize for the long post and as a disclaimer if you can't afford a new motor or to replace some costly parts that may break maybe you should stay under 8 psi of boost. I wish everyone the best of luck and may their motor never blow.

Last edited by sevenleaf; 09-22-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
IMO - yes your in the danger zone.... however after being on these boards now for 18months I am starting to believe that 450 is certainly not the cut off of safe. seems more like 500 (anecdotal observation) many cars running near 500 for a good long time with out issue

can u post your dyno sheet? temps/humdity and boost levels would tell us a lot
I think anybody can run 500rwhp stock. It just comes down to how much fun (getting on it) you can have.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by sevenleaf
Heat, Tune, running LEAN/ Detonation

But since so many people vary on boost levels and so many things can lower or raise boost I don't think you can say boost is a problem when getting ~500 rwhp on only ~9 psi is doable. I have to push ~13 PSI to get 500 rwhp.
agreed, they all work together to blow up a motor

as Matt stated boost is a mechanical measurement that doesnt vary dyno to dyno in its reading. (I dont car how good the tune is) boost is pushing more air and creating more stress on the internals the more boost you run. over 10lbs is into the danger zone from all the reading I've done on the subject. that doesnt mean you cant push more for a long period of time and be fine, its just starts to get into the danger zone and that is the OPs question