Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JLT/SCT Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
FocknAwesome

Default JLT/SCT Tuning Question

I bought a used JLT/SCT package deal on MF. Have a couple questions on what to expect in installation and set-up on my 07 GT Auto. No other major mods, just some springs and tint.

I ordered a new filter from BrenSpeed. While talking to him, I asked about the existing tunes on the SCT. He INSISTED that I not even TRY to use them, that they could damage the computer, and I would have to pay a good chunk to the ford dealer to get it flashed back to stock.

Questions:

>Is the Brenspeed guy just trying to make a buck? Has anyone tried applying the tunes from a used CAI and seen any problems?

>What is the story about "unlocking" the CAI? Am I going to have issues even getting it to work without going through some more crap to get it unlocked? How do I go about doing tha

Any other tips, info, or etc. from experience would be great.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

The tuner has to be unlocked when you get it or it won't work, and no, brenspeed is not just trying to make a buck, you need to have them make a tune for your cars calibration code.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
zraickenator

The tuner might be vehicle specific. not sure. I would ask brenspeed.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

LOL, Ummm.. I have a post w/ the same set up, same story, same intake/tuner..Hey, I hope we dont have the same seller... JK, my seller all ready gave me a tracking #

Umm, I spoke to dave @ bren speed and I was under the impression that if you have the same engine code (go to his site to locate it ) it right on the side of the comp under the hood. the sct tunes from brenspeed would have to be sent up for the exact same mods as you have. screw it, I'm going copy and paste my email from dave:

"You will have to install the SCT software "live load 3" on your home
computer and use it to unlock the devise. If the previous owner has done a
return to stock with it then all you have to do is unlock it from his VIN.
If the two of you have exactly the same mods etc then yes you should be able
to use the devise. I would advise that you use the tuner to pull the
strategy off of both vehicles to make sure neither of you have had a dealer
flash which may have changed your PCM code."
Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FocknAwesome
Questions:

>Is the Brenspeed guy just trying to make a buck? Has anyone tried applying the tunes from a used CAI and seen any problems?

>What is the story about "unlocking" the CAI? Am I going to have issues even getting it to work without going through some more crap to get it unlocked? How do I go about doing tha
The tunes will only work if your car has IDENTICAL mods and also the calibration code is the same (which, isn't real likely). So no, he isn't trying to screw you.

Assuming the guy you bought it from used the "return to stock" option on the tuner before he sent it to you, all you have to do is use the "unlock device" option in LiveLoad (free download). I did this just last week because I moved my mods from my 07 to my new 09.

Lastly, given you have an auto, I would recommend getting a Race Tune from BamaChips. Its $50, and Doug will update it for free later, etc. I tried the Brenspeed tunes on my auto, and while they were "ok", the BamaChips Race tune was just a work of art in comparison.