MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   K&N FIPK CAI, no reflash required? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/484610-k-and-n-fipk-cai-no-reflash-required.html)

roadracer516 09-23-2008 05:22 PM

K&N FIPK CAI, no reflash required?

Who's running this CAI with no reflash? I am curious if it is worth the money. They claim 15HP increase. But it seems to me that all the good CAI's on the market require you to reprogram. Thanks in advance.

moosestang 09-23-2008 06:37 PM

Get a tune! I don't like these no-tune CAI's. Most trick the computer by changing the MAF signal or they simply don't flow enough air to set a code.

Get a tune!

Nuke 09-23-2008 06:55 PM

5-7 RWHP IF you're lucky. And a some peeps here running CAI's that claim to not require a tune end up throwing a CEL anyway.

Save your money and get a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed, Bama or VMP for 15-25 RWHP for real plus better throttle response, shifting (if you're an auto), etc.. WELL worth the money.

mustang300 09-24-2008 12:06 AM

When i had the K&N intake i dynoed 287rwhp and 306 on a dynojet. the only other thing that i had was an axle back exhaust.

moosestang 09-24-2008 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mustang300 (Post 5477445)
When i had the K&N intake i dynoed 287rwhp and 306 on a dynojet. the only other thing that i had was an axle back exhaust.

What did you dyno before the intake? If you don't do a before and after dyno on the same day, then the numbers are meaningless. I've seen stock car dynos claim 287rwhp back in 2005 when the mustangs first came out.

roadracer516 09-24-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 5476216)
5-7 RWHP IF you're lucky. And a some peeps here running CAI's that claim to not require a tune end up throwing a CEL anyway.

Save your money and get a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed, Bama or VMP for 15-25 RWHP for real plus better throttle response, shifting (if you're an auto), etc.. WELL worth the money.

please explain how the re-program affects the AUTO tranny shifting? One thing I dont like about the AUTO is that it takes forever to downshift. Is that something that is automatic in the "tune", or do you have to ask to have it done? Thanks in advance

AmericanSpeed 09-24-2008 10:41 AM

I had the K&N CAI without a tune. Didn't really feel much of a difference. Then I got a tune for it, and it made all the difference. Since then, I've upgraded my "intake" though, this one gives me a little more power.

grampa_stang 09-24-2008 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by roadracer516 (Post 5478041)
please explain how the re-program affects the AUTO tranny shifting? One thing I dont like about the AUTO is that it takes forever to downshift. Is that something that is automatic in the "tune", or do you have to ask to have it done? Thanks in advance

When you say downshift..do you mean when you "manually" downshift or when you punch it from a roll, and you're sitting there waiting for the tranny to downshift into a lower gear..kinda hanging there in limbo for about 1-2 secs before it kicks down?

roadracer516 09-25-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by grampa_stang (Post 5478196)
When you say downshift..do you mean when you "manually" downshift or when you punch it from a roll, and you're sitting there waiting for the tranny to downshift into a lower gear..kinda hanging there in limbo for about 1-2 secs before it kicks down?

I would say both, but for sure when you just punch it and it takes forever for it to downshift.

ski 09-26-2008 12:50 PM

If you're dissatisfied with your auto tranny's shifting characteristics, then check out BamaChips. Many owners of auto equipped S197 GT's have posted praises regarding the vastly improved response and overall performance of their tranny's after installing one of his tunes.