Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Convertible Owners with Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Ruflying74
1st Gear Member

Question HELP! Convertible Owners with Aftermarket Exhaust

Looking to swap out the exhaust on my 07 GT Convertible. Been all over YouTube but still undecided.

What I'm looking for in an exhaust:
* Want a deeper, rumble-like tone
* Louder at idle and city driving speeds, but mellows out at highway cruising speeds. Basically, I don't want to have to crank my radio with the top down on the highway.
* Therefore, not looking for an especially Loud set-up; the deep, throatier sound is more important to me.

If Vert owners could chime in on what they are running and what they think, would love it. Especially like posts with owners who've ran multiple set-ups.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 AM
algx
1st Gear Member

Magnaflow Catback here...I like the deeper, throatier rumble without being over the top.
Of course, that 1800-2000rpm drone is there. If your usual highway cruising speeds are around that rpm, you might find it annoying. Maybe a good excuse to get gears... Can you spell 4.10?
My 2 cents....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 AM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

Running FRPP Stingers, I cannot tell you how many people have commented how good the car sounds. I bought the car that way, the original owner had them installed before he took delivery, so I can't tell you how they compare to anything else.

They should be exactly what you want, my car is very quiet on the highway as long as you are cruising above 2100rpm. Below that from 18-2100, there is some drone. My car is much quieter at 70 than 60mph.

They definitely have a deep/throaty sound. Get into the rpm's, and it's heaven.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I sold my JBAs to roadracer516, a fellow memeber on this board who owns a vert. He said he liked them.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

What you are describing sounds alot like the SLP Powerflos I had. They were great quality and sounded awesome. I left them on the car when I traded it, and I'm considering getting another set for the new one. I don't see many people running them for some reason, and I'm not sure why other than they aren't in the "usual suspects" of the suggestions you see on the board. I like to be different though, so I went out on a limb and tried them, and never looked back. I had Mac's before that, and they sounded good but were horribly droney. You'll find the Powerflos are fairly loud as in not sounding stock at all, but they aren't too obnoxious. On the highway, they fade nicely into the background at cruising speed.

Heres a video I found. I guess mine sounded roughly like this. There was a very narrow RPM band where I could get some drone, but it was on the order of about 15% of what the Mac's did. If I had simply stuck a moving blanket from u-haul in the spare tire well, it would have taken care of that completely on the SLPs, but it was never enough of a factor for me to bother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtVXSe-xbE

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-26-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Blk06 Droptop
2nd Gear Member

corsa axleback, no drone at all, sounds good at idle and great at wot. But not much louder than stock when cruising.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I have the FRRP Stingers. here is a video that you can hear them in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfqOBMU2yM
Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I would have to say Corsa, what you said pretty much describes them perfectly
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

One word...CORSA....the end.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod