MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   When dealing with a Ford Dealership do you tell them your car isn't stock? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/485392-when-dealing-with-a-ford-dealership-do-you-tell-them-your-car-isnt-stock.html)

Daniel60 09-26-2008 07:17 AM

I'm thinking of trading my car in. Do I tell them my mods?

My car is basically stock, however I do have 4.10gears,underdrive pullys, CAI/SCT2 tuner, Mac axlebacks and American Racing deep dish rims. Is this a plus or a minus. The wheels and mufflers I can't hide but what about the rest?

sactown 09-26-2008 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel60 (Post 5484852)
My car is basically stock, however I do have 4.10gears,underdrive pullys, CAI/SCT2 tuner, Mac axlebacks and American Racing deep dish rims. Is this a plus or a minus. The wheels and mufflers I can't hide but what about the rest?

Depends on the dealership, mine is completely aware of my mods

Daniel60 09-26-2008 07:35 AM

I left something critical out here and that is I want to trade it.

jwog666 09-26-2008 07:36 AM

depends, i work at a dealer and we generally dont care. but if you were to come in with a blower added on and a rod hanging out of the block, engine warranty would be out of the question. warranty cannot be dened unless the aftermarket products are proven to be the cause of the failure.

jwog666 09-26-2008 07:39 AM

you wont get extra on trade in for the mods. pull the udp's and gears, flash back to stock and sell them.

Daniel60 09-26-2008 07:40 AM

That is good advise but that cost money.

sactown 09-26-2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel60 (Post 5484879)
That is good advise but that cost money.

You don't have a ton of $$$ in your mods, I would just sell it rather than trade it in, it may take longer but you will get more money for the car.

GRABBER GT 09-26-2008 07:50 AM

The dealer wont give you anymore for trade-in value so if you have the means to replace the parts with the OEM pieces that is your best bet.
Most dealers wont mind mods on the vehicle as long as it meets emission and safety requirements.

Mike

SirKnightTG 09-26-2008 08:30 AM

You're better off selling it yourself. You will get screwed badly if you trade it in to a dealer. I tried a while back. I was going to trade in for an 08 with 5-speed but I would have lost my ass so bad. It just wasn't worth it. Losing 10K (or more) is not a good idea.

Mudflap 09-26-2008 10:16 AM

I would disclose the mods personally. If the car is in good shape and is very nice, some used car guys at the dealership might perceive as being "special" and easy to sell. Others would prefer it was bone stock. I would go to a dealer and have the used car manager look at it, and tell you how much he'll give you for it. If you're happy with the amount, trade it, if not sell it yourself. You may also want to try more than 1 dealership, they LOVE to lowball trade-ins because that is where they can make thousands by turning around and re-selling it.