Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Will new cam phasers fix my issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Will new cam phasers fix my issue ?

Hey guys, I recently had the FRPP Hot Rod cams put in and shortly there after started getting CEL codes P0340 & 344. My installer thought it was the tune so we/I tried his tune and same result. So, did some research and decided to replace the alternator. I did that yesterday and the codes came back. My installer wants to install the Livernois cam phaser lockouts to solve the problem. Ive called JDM and Livernois and both said the lockouts could help. Both suggested replacing the alt. first which I did and still have the CEL codes. So, after more research it seems the cam phasers on the 05s had issues too. Im trying this all via process of elimination. Any body got any ideas ?? Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Both of those codes are reelated to the Cam position sensor and doesn't seem related to the alternator but for whatever reason, they are connected. I would trouble shoot the cam postioner sensor before doing lockouts/limiters or do both at the same time with a custom by someone who knows how to tune our cars. Not just some guy with a dyno.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

also, something that i've often wondered
is, can you swap the CMP sensors to see
if the trouble moves over to bank 2 (drivers side).

if the DTC's stay the same, then i would then
suspect something to do with wiring
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM
aalex6104

My Gt 2008 , is driving me crazy all i want is to set it on fire, i already replace the vct selinoids, the cam phasers, the oil pump and new cramshaft,

after it warms up the car goes from perfect to real bad , RPM's don't hold and it just goes from 300 to 1200 like crazy, it is bad and i have it on my own shop for the last 3 months,

Any Help ???
aalex6104 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Wow, an almost-3 year old thread brought to life...

What prompted you to change those items due to (what you describe as) a wildly fluctuating idle?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

There are a few other items that have a more direct control on the idle than those yo have already replaced. MAF, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor are all things that come to mind BEFORE taking the route you did.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aalex6104
My Gt 2008 , is driving me crazy all i want is to set it on fire, i already replace the vct selinoids, the cam phasers, the oil pump and new cramshaft,

after it warms up the car goes from perfect to real bad , RPM's don't hold and it just goes from 300 to 1200 like crazy, it is bad and i have it on my own shop for the last 3 months,

Any Help ???
aalex6104 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
I have a hard time understanding what you are saying.

Give us your mods.

Give us the symptoms.

What have you done to sure the issue.

If you have a flucuating idle, most likely it is tune related, especially if you have cams. Or it is related to metered air getting in, unmetered air getting out.

I would suggest having a tuner look at a data log. Aftermarket cams and our mustang equals tuning problems.

Let us know.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I agree with the other posters and take the car to somebody who can perform the proper PPT's and nail down the problem. Process of elimination that you're using can be very expensive and frustrating. I never understood why people find it ok to spend hundreds of dollars throwing parts at a problem instead of spending 1 or 2 hours labor to have the problem properly diagnosed. It's works out cheaper in the end.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
aalex6104

Default I'll explain , and thank you in advance !!

Now that i have everyone attention,

Mustang GT 2005, 5 speed, with 2008 engine, trani, interior and more !

I bough my mustang 3 months ago, 1 week after the problem started , this is my 3rd mustang ,never had a problem before, (I didn't take it back because i bough it cash from a private seller )

1- Ok so Im driving down i-95 and as i stop at a mall the car start to idle real bad, like the timing was totally off.

2. All the car has done is an air intake k&n and pipes, (catalytic are installed on place)

3. I wait for my father to come back from a trip and took it the fallowing week to his shop, during that week i just let it sit and tried to run it a few times .

The strange part is that it is fine while is cold, so this problem will only happen when it warms up.

4. So my father gets back and he decide that this may be the oil pump that is not sending enough pressure to the vvt system, so we replace it (i know it sounds crazy but well you know, i did it because he is the mechanic)

5. after that the car will do the same thing when warms up, then i replace the chain tensioned as a mechanic recommended,

6. Same problem, So i took it to ford dealerat the dealer they told me it was a VVT or VCT selinoid problem so i had hope it was it, $2500 they wanted to charge with new housings,

So i did it myself at the shop and after $600 and few hours , the car started and when it warmed up, (Same Problem) By this point I was very unhappy.

7. It gets better , I took it to another ford dealer , very helpful , they said it was an intake problem so they replace something on the intake, but as i knew already it was not it, so they start to look around and the Crankshaft was moving back and forth 1/3 of an inch , so they say this will make the crankshaft sensor confuse and send the wrong signal to the camshaft sensors.

8. I took it back to the shop and installed a new crankshaft with new metals, just like new, a 2 days job, so after that it was it, well it was not

9. The car started fine and after i run it for 2 miles the problem came back as it was !!

10. So today July 20, i went back and decided to take the camshafts out to take a look, well they are bad as well as the sits like the car runes with not oil for a bit, so
My question is ------- will this make the vvt's fail as is loosing oil pressure on the camshaft because of their conditions ???

My next and last to do is to replace the heads i have a 5.4 engine at the shop with excellent camshafts and heads don't know if it is the same as the 4.6 !!

Thank you and sorry for the long story, it is very interesting !!!
So there is my problem i know is long
Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 PM
aalex6104

Default sorry about the color !!

10. So today July 20, i went back and decided to take the camshafts out to take a look, well they are bad as well as the sits like the car runes with not oil for a bit, so
My question is ------- will this make the vvt's fail as is loosing oil pressure on the camshaft because of their conditions ???

My next and last to do is to replace the heads i have a 5.4 engine at the shop with excellent camshafts and heads don't know if it is the same as the 4.6 !!

Thank you and sorry for the long story, it is very interesting !!!
So there is my problem i know is long

Quick Reply: Will new cam phasers fix my issue ?