Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple tunes FRPP and VMP

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple tunes FRPP and VMP

I'm currently using the frpp tune and have been looking into getting an emailed vmp tune. The main reason for me wanting to switch is so i can change tire sizes and gear ratios. Has anyone used the frpp tune then switched to vmp? I'd like to know if there are any performance gains from it. I'd also like to know if theres any driveablity problems in hot and cold weather and how close to "spot on" the tune is.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:43 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

well when I had mine dyno tuned at vmp, he started with his email tune and tweaked it from there. Didn't really take that long to fine tune his email one to get my numbers. I never ran the frpp tune, but I think it would be safe to say that you will have a performance gain.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

i ran both, desided to go custome for the piece of mind. the vmp tune blows away the ford tune. not saying that the ford tune doesn't make power, but the throttle response from the vmp tune makes the power come on harder and faster. according to my wideband, i was at 11.2-11.3 afr with the ford tune, the vmp tune put me at 11.7-11.9 which is outstanding for a mail order tune. the custom tune keeps me around 12 and dips to 11.8 up top. if i had to do it again, i would have just spent the money on the custome tune because dishing out 250 to vmp ended up being a waste of money. good luck with your decision
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

From what I have heard it is a waste of money to do the mail order tunes. Spend the extra money and have it dyno tuned.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

I've had a VMP tune on my car for almost 5 months now, and it is excellent. I haven't played around with it, but it certainly performs well as is.

David
Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Justin has this tune pretty nailed, I would not doubt to get a mail tune from him.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm still on the FRPP tune, and I was supposed to get tuned by a local dyno shop, but they went belly-up just a couple months after opening, so I'm gonna order Brenspeed's mail order tune. They've never done me wrong in the past.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I just put in a VMP Whipple tune. This thing pulls like a bastid now...

Just make sure you don't do what I did:
Make sure you flash back to stock using the FRPP tuner BEFORE you load the VMP tune.
The FRPP tuner changes the strategy code so if you get a tune thats set for your current PCM code (the sticker on top of it) it won't work if you flash over the FRPP tune.

Also, if you've used the SCT tuner before you should do an UNLOCK on it before doing the first flash using the new tune.

I didn't do these things and ended up with a no start condition.
Fortunately I had written down the new strategy code that the FRPP tuner had made before I ordered the tune. At the time I didn't know what a strategy code was but I figured I'd write everything down...

Justin at VMP gets an A++ for sending me updated tunes at 10:00pm.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to try Justin's tune after I do an IAT relocation. Wish I did this the day I got it.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

If you want to do an IAT relocation and don't want to pull the intake there is another way.
Go to google and search for: whipple iat
The first result will be Simple Whipple IAT relocation...

It uses a different sensor that's modified and installed into the plugged hole in the whipple intake on the pass side rear.

Quick Reply: Whipple tunes FRPP and VMP