Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

thinking about installing 4.10's myself???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

No gear will whine if installed correctly. The FRPP has bigger tolerances than others and tends to whine less because of that.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

good luck trying it yourself... if you decide to do it, let us know. i love working on my car, but i don't plan on attempting this myself any time soon.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Avengence has it as close as you can go to the proceedure for replacing gears. Its not rocket science but you do have to pay attention to some critical measurements. Ford has made it easy with their "Master housing dimension" method of setting up the pinion depth. Avengence explained it in his post. Its all about comparing the new pinion to the old pinion and either add or take away shims to get the identical dimension the differential was originally setup with. The best thing you did for a DYI install was to get the FRPP gears as they make it easy to set the pinion using the master housing dimension method. Here's a link to an article that touches on setting up the gears. There are likely more and better articles out there, just have to finf them.
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html
Really, the only limiting factors are not having the necessary tools and good mechanical aptitude.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Too many things can go wrong.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'm sure this will make people mad when I say this....but do it.

I had no comprehension of gear installation until my latest ordeal....and I have since learned a LOT........you can't do any worse than the dealership did on mine.

I think if you have the know-how (mechanically speaking) and confidence in yourself, you can do this.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't think any of us can directly answer the OP's question the way it was written. To do so means that you'd have to know a lot more about what his automotive mechanical experience includes and where his "comfort zone" and patience stops. That is most likely different from what any of the rest of us have done or are comfortable doing, so we have to step outside of ourselves for a moment. If we write too much of our own fear or too much "done-it-a-hundred-times" experience into it, he's not getting the picture that HE needs. Realizing that it is certainly possible but that it involves advanced techniques and methods, the best we can do is provide enough information for him to decide for himself if he's ready to tackle it. As mentioned earlier, having a little experienced guidance available is a good idea. If not right there at hand, at least available by phone.

I listed an experience level previously at which I'd be comfortable telling him to go ahead with this. On the other hand, I'd probably recommend against if the automotive experience was limited to such tasks as replacing an alternator or two, a couple of water pumps, or installing headers/non-emissions exhaust system work. There's a whole range in between where legitimate recommendation either way is possible - and perhaps more difficult to make just because it could go either way.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-21-2008 at 09:59 AM.