Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Cut-Outs Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust Cut-Outs Questions

I'm really really considering getting the electric cut-outs from DHMPerformance. i used search and only found people that had mounted them behind the cats. does anybody know how i could mount them in front of the cats? i can't do it on a stock system because of how the exhaust is shaped coming out from the headers, but is there a place further down the line where i could move the cats to and put the y-pipes for the cutouts where the cats are right now?

i really only want the cutouts for track use so putting them after the cats makes absolutely no sense seeing as they are the biggest power robbers in our system.

i want to stay legal on the street (And retain stock sound), but be able to dump after headers and bypass everything when i'm off-road.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I want to do this too and it looks like the only way to make that work while having cats is to have a custom job done where the cats are moved down the mid pipe a little.

I also think it's weird how people are putting them after the cats. The whole point of cutouts is to have open headers and you can't have open headers with something like cats in the way.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Regardless, I believe you'll need to turn off the O2 sensors if your tuner hasn't done so already. Hopefully someone more familiar with this will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah most definitely.

But yeah you'll need a tune anyway b/c doing this would make you go lean I would think.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

well turning off the O2 sensors looks like the least of my worries since i already have a tuner.

i did find some compact cats from Magnaflow called the SpunCats. Only problem is that i can't figure out how long they are... i was thinking that maybe if they're short enough, i would be able to cut out the stock cats, put in the cutouts, and then put in the compact cats right behind the cutouts.

anybody have any idea how much a shop would charge to move the cats, weld in the y-pipes, and then weld on some tips in the back? just kind of want a ball park figure until i can get down to the shop for an actual quote...

i just really think it would be cool to go from a fully legal stock exhaust to open headers at the flick of a switch
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't know about the price, but GTs don't have y-pipes. That would be for the V6. Stock is an H-pipe and you can get X or a pro-chamber.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

no, cut-outs have y-pipes. one input, two outputs. i should have said weld in the cut-outs, not y-pipes...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Ah. I thought you were talking about the mid-pipe. Gotcha!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

so nobody has cutouts before their cats?? i thought at least someone on here would have done that already...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ptp performance has then before the cats I believe..if not then maybe a company called needswings might have them ,not sure.Just make sure you have some power to back up all that noise..they are OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!! lol

(o_0)*!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cut-Outs Questions