Any last minute tips on Whipple HO self installation??? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #11  
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Take your time Cobra, Be prepared for the fuel hoses to the fuel rails to be a dog and also the heater hoses at the firewall. Other than that, just be maticulous and sure of everything before moving on. You're in for a pleasant surprise when it's finished.
aclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #12  
stang910
2nd Gear Member

The only things i had trouble with was where all the bolts go that are supplied in the kit. The other thing is I installed the gt500 pumps in the tank incorrectly. I tried to put the fuel level sender in the same area the stock sender was and couldn't figure out why it was so hard to line the arrows up on the tank and fuel hat. I found out the sender goes on the other side of the baffle.

If you plan on getting a custom tune go ahead and relocate the IAT sensor now. I wish I did. Just install the sensor in the manifold and don't wire it up with the frpp tune. Later when you get a custom tune finish the wiring. BTW the frpp tune will work with the relocated IAT it'll just make less power.
stang910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #13  
07gttom
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWhite View Post
My friend did it in about 2 1/2 hours
BS on that one maybe 2 1/2 days. i am going to cut and paste a write up i did on another forum, here it is:

-i did the fuel pump install one week proir to the supercharger install(glad i did, i was a tired man when all was said and done)
-i didn't take off my coolant resivor
-disregard step 17,20,21,57,58(they are for 05-06 models
-step 46 was a pain, i removed that bolt while working from the passenger side, with a small rachet and socket
-step 47 was a pain, those hoses are on their pretty good
-step 60, if you put the water neck fitting on like it is shown, you will have to grind down a timing cover bolt(allot), i did it like the instructions said, other people have just turned it 180 degrees and no grinding is needed and it works fine(wish i knew that before i installed mine) also, one of the bolts to secure the water neck to the crossover tube will have to be shortend
-when putting the new fuel crossover tube on, make sure the injectors are not installed onto the rails yet. the instructions have you put the injectors on first, but that line is so hard to get on, you will be twisting and pushing. you dont want to damage a injector while doing so. (you will know what i mean when you get to putting on that fuel hose)lol
-step 116, good luck, i made that the last part of the install. that hose is so hard to push into the supplied hose.
-step 141, says to use 2 bolts and 2 nuts. well the nuts were no problem to use because the car already had 2 bolts on it. the part where it says to use the 2 bolts... well my car did not have 2 holes for those bolts, it had 2 smaller bolts already on it, so you will need 2 more nuts(the bolts are smaller then the other two, you might have like 3 threads available for the 2 extra nuts you have to buy)
-adding length to all of the sensor wires was a long PITA. just take your time
-I did the install all by myself except for: i needed an extra person to apply pressure to the fuel pump while hammering in the lock ring, and i needed a extra person to apply pressure to the tensioner while getting the belt on.
-make sure you upload the ford tune before you start the car to check for coolant leaks, top off coolant...ect. the instructions might say to check for leaks before they tell you to upload the tune.

good luck
07gttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #14  
moosestang
6th Gear Member

First and foremost, clean the engine really, really good. I'm paranoid of dirt and crude falling into my engine. I used degreaser and sprayed it all down with my garden hose. Then used an air compressor to blow it all off. I even went so far as to vacuum out all my intake runners after I removed the stock intake manifold. Just in case any dirt fell in there.

Don't break a spark plug! I know some people go through a big hoopla, with socking the plugs and doing a little dance, but if you don't have more than 15,000 miles on your car, then you shouldn't have a problem removing them. I pulled all mine 3 times without any penetrating oil. Put anti seize on the new plugs, I don't care what Fords TSB says to do.

When you go to set the supercharger on the intake manifold, you need to put the back end in first and then lift up on the back to get the front to go down in. Be careful not to hit the gasket while doing this part. The rest was really easy imo.

When you do the fuel pumps, be sure to go really slow putting the twin pumps into the hole. Work your way around the pumps, pushing the convoluted hose inward a little bit at a time so they will clear the sides. you don't want to nick them on the sharp edge of the fuel tank. It will help if you look down into the gas tank with a flash light before trying to install it. you'll see a metal rectangle down there where the pump has to sit in. It only goes in one way, so be sure you have the float pointing to the passenger side and don't get it stuck in that metal rectangle like I did. Releasing the two sending wires from the stock harness can be daunting if you don't have a jewelers screw driver or you are not familiar with electrical harness and how the wires clip into them. Be careful not to let the little rubber feet hit the sides of the gas tank. They will fall off very easily and getting them out of the tank can be a PITA. I used a long flat blade screw driver to fish out 3 out of the 4.

Most of it is really tedious, time consuming, boring stuff.

Don't wire your water pump backwards like some other have done.

Last edited by moosestang; 10-03-2008 at 05:42 PM.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #15  
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang910 View Post
The only things i had trouble with was where all the bolts go that are supplied in the kit. The other thing is I installed the gt500 pumps in the tank incorrectly. I tried to put the fuel level sender in the same area the stock sender was and couldn't figure out why it was so hard to line the arrows up on the tank and fuel hat. I found out the sender goes on the other side of the baffle.

If you plan on getting a custom tune go ahead and relocate the IAT sensor now. I wish I did. Just install the sensor in the manifold and don't wire it up with the frpp tune. Later when you get a custom tune finish the wiring. BTW the frpp tune will work with the relocated IAT it'll just make less power.
Was the stock float towards the drivers side? I didn't notice when removing the stock pump, but I still ended up getting the float stuck inside the baffle somehow.

Another thing with the pumps. The crossover tube can be a pain to reconnect. I can't remember if I reconnected it before putting the dual pumps in or if I tied a wire to it, put the pumps in, then pulled it up with the wire to reconnect it. I might have tied a wire to it, put the pumps halfway in, then pulled it up so I could reconnect it. Anyway, I would budget one afternoon just for the pumps.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #16  
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would try some clean oil inside the fuel crossover hose. Trying to push it onto the barbs when it's dry or even with a little gas in it, is almost impossible. Don't worry if you don't get it all the way on there, because it ain't coming off.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #17  
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you're 150lbs soaking wet like me, then don't be afraid to climb right up on the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammeron View Post
well that's great news CobraO

for you, you will want to line the fenders
and the radiator cover with lots of towels,
this way you can lean over and rest your
chest on them, lessening the strain on your
back (there's a lot of leaning over into the bay).

you're gonna do fine.....all i ask, is that you take
less then 8 days.....i don't want my record broken!

good luck and have fun.....
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #18  
stang910
2nd Gear Member

moose the floater on the stock pump went inside the baffle, thats why i had such a hard time trying to get the gt500 pumps in. sounds like you did the same thing i did. whipple should put in the instructions how the new floater sits in the tank. i could've easily ruined a new pump.
stang910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #19  
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWhite View Post
good luck. Havent had the oppertunity to help anyone install a whipple on the newer mustangs, I hear its not to hard though. My friend did it in about 2 1/2 hours
And I caught a flight to Mars where I had sex with Carmen Electra last week.

Cobra, it took me about twenty-four hours (not non-stop). My only advice is this: When it gets frustrating, put down your tools and WALK AWAY. Cool off for a few and have a beer, and it will be easier when you go back. My analysis of the install was that it was sometimes difficult, often tedious, but never impossible. Good luck!
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #20  
CobraO
1st Gear Member

This is some great info guys, thanks a lot. I'll start a new thread on Monday or Tuesday to track my progress, and I'll probably have questions along the way.

thanks again.

Aaron
CobraO is offline   Reply With Quote