Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

joining the cam club!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

i appreciate your help...i'm trying to use it to make a good choice, but i know there's always going to be a risk of some sort. the easiest thing to do would be to do nothing, but that's no fun!

right now my inclination is to install the cams without limiters, but i'm not a 100% decided.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

SirKnightTG, excellent points.....i like hearing
that frpp says you don't need them.

rojizo, i wish we could compare the specs of
a comp cam like the thumpers, with that of
the hot rods, to see if the similarities are enough
to warrant limiters.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rojizostang
I'm not sure i'm following you here...you had phaser limiter failure with stock cams; with the stock cams and the phaser failure, did you have piston to valve contact and an oil pressure issue, or just the oil pressure issue?
I didnt have any piston to valve contact with the stock cams during the failure. My oil pressure was way off was all and it started burning the oil up crazy fast. I replaced my phasers and havent had any problems since.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Here's what I could come up with for specs:

Comp Cam Thumprs: https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...=470352&page=6

FRPP Hot Rod: http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.a...96&ITEM_ID=765

I tried to compare but the way the numbers are laid out is different and I'm not up on cams well enough to get past that.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
SirKnightTG, excellent points.....i like hearing
that frpp says you don't need them.

Yep, MyLocalDJ said Ford Racing told him that. His post is here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...=470352&page=2

I've read, I think on other forums, people also reporting that Ford Racing told them to not use limiters or lockouts.

Doug from Bamachips said he was going to put Hot Rods on his car. I should send him an email about that and see what he says about limiters.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rojizostang
do we know of anyone yet running frpp cams that have had a piston contact issue with unmodified limiters?

i think some one had a problem with the comp cams thumper cams and phase limiters (or the lack thereof), but as of yet i haven't heard of a problem with the hot rod cams, that i can remember

looks like i need to do a little more research.

edit:
okay, i read the tech article, and it's the same that i read on another site. i'm certainly not trying to be argumentative in any way, but i didn't think this write up referred to all aftermarket camshafts; i thought it referred to those cam grinds that they (comp cams) said require limiters, like the stage III and stage IV grinds.
i'm probably wrong.
The Thumprs for the 3 valves 4.6 liter engine has not been released for sale yet as fas a I know. I have a set on my GT and have had them for over a month now and have had no issues with them. The phasers are required for the Thumprs. Here is the dyno sheet comparing stock cams and Thumprs.
Attached Thumbnails joining the cam club!-comp-cams003_s.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that is a great graph....

blue = stock
red = hot rods
green = thumpers

at least that's what my notes show.

SirKnight, i know what you mean....the specs for
the different cams don't jive and they are hard
to compare
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed is selling the Thumprs now. RAD Mustangs as well.

Sutton HP was supposed to sell them but they do not have them listed yet for some reason.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

I also called FRPP about using limiters/lockouts and the tech there said the same thing to me. Meaning, he said there is no need for them and he doesnt recommend them. He said the Hot Rod cams are so mild in their set up that the use of limiters/lockouts are not needed or recommended. Think I'll go with that advice... my 2 cents anyway
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Cshores

Jesus people! Enough with the technical BS. I bought the FRPP cams for my 07 Roush STAGE 3 and those things are wicked nice. Jesus. I didn't hear one thing about any of the ramblings above and who cares. The whole point of these suckers was to install them with NO modifications other than a tune.

Buy some. Run them. And have fun. Quit talking and start driving already.

Quick Reply: joining the cam club!