Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Belt Squeek Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default Belt Squeek Solved!

Turns out it was a faulty idler pully.. Bolt was "hand tightened" from the factory. I plan to go over every bolt on this car to make suer they are all properly tightened. My car's been down for a week because I thought my tensioner pully was gone and my psi was down.. Turns out it was because this pully was faulty. $30 later Im good to go. The pully was starting to seperate, it's a two piece design.
Attached Thumbnails Belt Squeek Solved!-1003082001.jpg   Belt Squeek Solved!-1003082002.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

that's great, blueherd. i had a squeak too. once it's gone it's like a weight has been lifted off your head and you can sleep easy at night. now we can move on and get into more serious modding.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

what size was the stock idler pulley and is that the one on the drivers side of the motor? I still have squeak at start up only (maybe 10-15 sec) but was just thinking about getting the Thumper tensioner and the 8-rib belt kit anyway (later date though) and maybe replacing the factory idler pulley will be the trick until said mods are bought! Congrats on the "No squeak" Whipple S/C!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that's great blue, glad the squeek is gone
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

I too have a squeak on start-up, I bought a new tensioner, but my idler is a little bit wobbly. I should also do this.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

That's exactly what mine did. It's the grooved idler pully on the driver's side, dealer wanted $30 and no more squeek so far. Mine was nearly seperated as you can see.

Originally Posted by explict
I too have a squeak on start-up, I bought a new tensioner, but my idler is a little bit wobbly. I should also do this.

At least check and see if there is any wobble to it.. I'd say it is the mysterious squeek because furthur discussions with a member of another forum that had the same symptoms and bought the thump_rrr his squeek never went away. The thump_rr is great for when you actually shred your belt due to a bad tensioner. That's not the problem I was having.

Originally Posted by mygt500
at size was the stock idler pulley and is that the one on the drivers side of the motor? I still have squeak at start up only (maybe 10-15 sec) but was just thinking about getting the Thumper tensioner and the 8-rib belt kit anyway (later date though) and maybe replacing the factory idler pulley will be the trick until said mods are bought! Congrats on the "No squeak" Whipple S/C!.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Did the replacement wobble? My grooved idler pulley has always had a wobble to it. I even made a post about it a long time ago.

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
That's exactly what mine did. It's the grooved idler pully on the driver's side, dealer wanted $30 and no more squeek so far. Mine was nearly seperated as you can see.

At least check and see if there is any wobble to it.. I'd say it is the mysterious squeek because furthur discussions with a member of another forum that had the same symptoms and bought the thump_rrr his squeek never went away. The thump_rr is great for when you actually shred your belt due to a bad tensioner. That's not the problem I was having.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

No but, the replacement isn't all metal like the one I took off. it feels like plastic with a metal center. They are obviously different. But no there's no wobble in the replacement. My original campe apart where the rubber gasket forges the two pieces together..

Originally Posted by moosestang
Did the replacement wobble? My grooved idler pulley has always had a wobble to it. I even made a post about it a long time ago.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
No but, the replacement isn't all metal like the one I took off. it feels like plastic with a metal center. They are obviously different. But no there's no wobble in the replacement. My original campe apart where the rubber gasket forges the two pieces together..
I can wiggle mine by hand even though the bolt is tight. I even tried to add a washer, but it made no difference. What was the part number for the new pulley? Is it grooved like the old one?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

6L3Z*6C348*A

Yes it is ribbed also, I think it needs to be because of where it is and it is an idler pully

Quick Reply: Belt Squeek Solved!