Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

proper way to reset or clear the computer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

A battery can explode. When I was in high school I worked at a PEP Boys and this guy decided to hook up his own battery in the parking lot. Long story short, he managed to arc out the pos side long enough to get it hot, which causes the acid to boil, which releases hydrogen gas, which when an arc is made=BOOM. Needless to say he had chemical burns on exposed skin...etc.

That is why it is suggested that the negative is disconnected first. The battery can explode or at a minimum cause damage to the parts that it is arced out on.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:11 PM
RWB

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
dude, batteries dont just explode that easily. Its like safety precaution to do negative so you minimize sparking around the battery.
​​​​​ if your battery has a problem and you do not know that and you sure did out it will blow up so don't let nobody ever take that a battery will not blow up it's leaking at the top or anything it will blow up but the battery is still good but not after it blows up
Old 04-19-2022, 04:15 PM
RWB

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
dude, batteries dont just explode that easily. Its like safety precaution to do negative so you minimize sparking around the battery.
you're absolutely wrong
Old 04-20-2022, 12:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
Removal: Negative then Positive
Application: Positive then Negative
That's the way I've always done it either when removing the battery cables from the battery or when applying jumper cables.
To clear the KAM, just disconnect the batter cables in the order described above for at least 10 minutes. It isn't rocket science and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:42 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

14 year old thread....
Old 05-21-2022, 02:03 AM
FarFromDown1

Originally Posted by mustanglouie
I was wondering what is the proper way for completely resetting the computers in our cars?
I have heard a couple different theories. One is to just take off the neg. terminal and let the car sit for about 30 mins and then put it back on. But does this completely wipe out the memory of the computer? I have also heard that you could take the pos. and neg. terminals off the battery and touch them together for a few mins and that would completely wipe out the memory of the computer. So what is the correct way to completely clear the entire memory on our cars without hurting them?
the proper way to reset your computer “note that it will take some driving afterwards”
(witch will be a little rough for a few miles) through a Ford mechanic is to….. disconnect the negative cable cover the negative post with a rag or something to stop the negative from accidentally reconnecting and then takes jumper wire from the still connected positive cable and hook it to the negative cable for about 5 min or so. That is the proper way to reset and erase your memory and start the learning process over. GL. I hope that this helps somebody. This is not a guess this is a 100% true answer to the question. T Y to All you guys and girls on here for all the great answers to questions. I have learned a lot. This is my 1st post or even response ever. but I just had to do it on my 1st ever
2000 mustang gt and it works wonders. And I was taught and shown this from a 30year ford master mechanic. Anyways You guys rock so keep up the awesome work. Mustangs Rule🤘🏼
Old 05-23-2022, 01:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by FarFromDown1
the proper way to reset your computer “note that it will take some driving afterwards”
(witch will be a little rough for a few miles) through a Ford mechanic is to….. disconnect the negative cable cover the negative post with a rag or something to stop the negative from accidentally reconnecting and then takes jumper wire from the still connected positive cable and hook it to the negative cable for about 5 min or so. That is the proper way to reset and erase your memory and start the learning process over. GL. I hope that this helps somebody. This is not a guess this is a 100% true answer to the question. T Y to All you guys and girls on here for all the great answers to questions. I have learned a lot. This is my 1st post or even response ever. but I just had to do it on my 1st ever
2000 mustang gt and it works wonders. And I was taught and shown this from a 30year ford master mechanic. Anyways You guys rock so keep up the awesome work. Mustangs Rule🤘🏼
and here's a vid on it. Ford Tech Makuloco is a Ford Master Tech that now opened his own shop.