Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

proper way to reset or clear the computer?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

Default proper way to reset or clear the computer?

I was wondering what is the proper way for completely resetting the computers in our cars?
I have heard a couple different theories. One is to just take off the neg. terminal and let the car sit for about 30 mins and then put it back on. But does this completely wipe out the memory of the computer? I have also heard that you could take the pos. and neg. terminals off the battery and touch them together for a few mins and that would completely wipe out the memory of the computer. So what is the correct way to completely clear the entire memory on our cars without hurting them?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it seems to me, that you need the:

Rotunda Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS), Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) with
appropriate adapters or equivalent diagnostic tool.

here's a copy and paste from the service manual:

Resetting The Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
Description
Resetting the KAM returns the powertrain control module (PCM) memory to its default setting. Adaptive learning contents such as idle speed, refueling event, and fuel trim are included. Clear the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in the PCM and reset the emission monitors information, is part of a KAM reset. Refer to Clear the Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and Reset the Emission Monitors Information in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in this section. Both can be useful in post-repair testing.

After the KAM has been reset, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It is necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to learn the values for optimum driveability and performance.

This function may not be supported by all diagnostic tools. Refer to the diagnostic tool manufacturer's instruction manual.

If an error message is received or the diagnostic tool does not support this function, disconnecting the battery ground cable for a minimum of 5 minutes may be used as an alternative procedure.

Last edited by hammeron; 10-04-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^ or simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes. It really wont damage anything. If they got damaged that way, ford would have to replace ecu's daily, since many people drain their batteries and need a jump start.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Cloewe06

Default RESET

Just take off positive side for 10-15 minutes.

Don't touch them together

cloewe
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 AM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cloewe06
Just take off positive side for 10-15 minutes.

Don't touch them together

cloewe
even though, it doesnt really matter. Usually its better to remove the negative instead of the positive, causes less sparking but either way it works.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Default Clearing computer

After you disconnect either of the battery cables, step on the brake pedal for a few seconds. That will make sure you pull all the power out of the system. Also it is better to remove the negative cable to avoid sparking.

I've never heard of touching the positive and negative terminal together.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I believe the sparking referred to above has to do with removal and reconnection of either terminal to the battery. When I disconnect the battery, I use the negative and there's been no sparking. But that's how I've always done it...

Surprisingly, the only thing I've ever had to reset was the clock. Even my radio stations all came back.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I believe the sparking referred to above has to do with removal and reconnection of either terminal to the battery. When I disconnect the battery, I use the negative and there's been no sparking. But that's how I've always done it...

Surprisingly, the only thing I've ever had to reset was the clock. Even my radio stations all came back.
+1. that was very ftw.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I know this sounds stupid... but what does ftw mean?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

FTW = For The Win. I agree, I've also always simply unconnected the neg battery cable and let the car sit for a few minutes. I've already done it on my current car and worked fine, didn't hurt anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: proper way to reset or clear the computer?