Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

decoy cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Question decoy cats?

So this thread might jus tbe follhardy... i'll be taking off my stock h in the near future, and replacing it with an o/r h. i unfortunately live in an emissions state... and after reading taco bill's write up i c its not that difficult to switch the two pipes out annualy, but i was just wonderign, if it be possible to like cut the cats in half and weld them around the o/r pipe (obviously not conencting them or anything) and give off the appearence that the cats are there for the visual inspection?

i havent taken a good good look at the cats, but from pictures and speculation if i were to clear out the cat and make it hollow and just weld it around the pipe, it would just be ther for looks? tell me if this is possible or if im just dreaming... and if nobody knows, then i'll give it a shot...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've seen these for sale somewhere but I can't remember where. I thought about doing the same thing myself.

My state only does emissions in certain counties so it's not a problem, but it's still good to look like you have them incase of a visual inspection either by an inspector or police officer.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I know magnaflow sells an offroad cat which has nothing inside of it but it looks like a cat...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
2007_Stang
1st Gear Member

luckily Kansas doesn't have emissions checks around here, but I have an off road H sitting in my garage waiting to be put on when I can, but I was wondering also if it will void my warranty as well. Please if anyone would be able to confidently inform me I would greatly appriciate it.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'm sure the dealer will not like the idea of no cats. If you ever have a problem with something they'll most likely try to blame it on having no cats. They're not supposed to unless it really did cause a problem (it wont) but they do it anyway.

Just put the catted mid pipe back on if/when you go to the dealer and take it off when you get back.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I don't know how easy it is to do on this model but on my '90 I knocked the guts out of the cats. It was a half day project cause that car had 4 cats but it worked. All thats in there is a honeycomb thats mounted with a heat expanded mat. It comes out in pieces and just make sure you get it ALL out. Prybars and conduit and other random long things will get it done.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You could also save someone's lung (possibly your own), and perhaps a tree or two by just getting a couple of high flow cats.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

well, my '90 still passed emissions with all 4 cats knocked out....

Originally Posted by Mudflap
You could also save someone's lung (possibly your own), and perhaps a tree or two by just getting a couple of high flow cats.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

It may have passed, but it was certainly still blowing more crap out of the tailpipe than it would have with some cats on it. Do what you want, I'm not going to get into an environmental debate. I personally value the planet more than a few HP, so I won't ever go out of my way to contribute more to its demise than I already do...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
It may have passed, but it was certainly still blowing more crap out of the tailpipe than it would have with some cats on it. Do what you want, I'm not going to get into an environmental debate. I personally value the planet more than a few HP, so I won't ever go out of my way to contribute more to its demise than I already do...
U funny, I agree with the highflows...

Quick Reply: decoy cats?