Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best CA Legal Exhaust Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all this info guys its helping alot but for some reason I feel weird buying axle-backs because everyone says they are inferior to cat backs and I wouldnt feel right putting them onn my car only to replace them later on also Sleep Deprived were in LA are you cause that is one beatiful *** car although i dont think Nitrous is legal out here

Last edited by Branomano06GT; 10-09-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Mispelled Nitrous >.<
Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 AM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
There are no long tubes on the market that are legal in California for our cars. If you want headers, your only options are JBA or BBK shortys. Also, with the random roadside smog checks around here, it isn't a very good idea. Funny thing about those "random" smog checks - they're anything BUT random! If they see a Mustang come rumbling up with loud exhaust they will stop you for sure.

Like others have said, it sucks that they are such ***** about it; I would love to have long tubes and a catless H myself. Actually, I thought long and hard about it but the fines are ridiculous (like $10,000) and they can take your freakin' car for cat violations! Not worth it IMHO.
Wow!! That being a little extreme. I'm pretty sure no police officer is going to take your car because you do not have cats, maybe slap you with a little fine. Cops out here enjoy our mustangs a lot more than all these imports around here with their loud exhaust. Not to mention all the harleys that are about twice as loud as a mustang without cats around here. I'm not saying driving our here without cats is not a problem but it's not quite as extreme as you put it.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

The 05+mustang's exhaust is already unrestrictive. Getting a catback system is a waste of money IMO, unless you find a really good deal on ebay. I would just look at getting an axleback setup. Search the classified sections of various mustang forums. I believe on S197forums, a seller is selling Bassani Race for about $400.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST3
Wow!! That being a little extreme. I'm pretty sure no police officer is going to take your car because you do not have cats, maybe slap you with a little fine. Cops out here enjoy our mustangs a lot more than all these imports around here with their loud exhaust. Not to mention all the harleys that are about twice as loud as a mustang without cats around here. I'm not saying driving our here without cats is not a problem but it's not quite as extreme as you put it.
Nah, they probably won't take your car although they can. It only takes one jerk though... As far as the fine, it is not little by any means, that's the only reason why I still have cats on my car lol. I'm probably just paranoid though.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Branomano06GT
Thanks for all this info guys its helping alot but for some reason I feel weird buying axle-backs because everyone says they are inferior to cat backs and I wouldnt feel right putting them onn my car only to replace them later on also Sleep Deprived were in LA are you cause that is one beatiful *** car although i dont think Nitrous is legal out here
Thanks a lot, I'm out by LAX. Nitrous??? Just the wheels man, just the wheels.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
Nah, they probably won't take your car although they can. It only takes one jerk though... As far as the fine, it is not little by any means, that's the only reason why I still have cats on my car lol. I'm probably just paranoid though.
Fair enough..
Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 PM
flogduh
1st Gear Member

I've got the stock headers, mid pipe and I put on FRPP Stingers (Borlas). I've had ZERO trouble with the PD in any of the surrounding jurisdictions. The rumble is awesome and I get a lot of compliments - even had two local PD officers comment on how nice it sounds - one on patrol. It's opened up the more restricitve stock chamber mufflers, it definately improved the pull of the car. Once I put on my CAi and Bama 91 race tune, I'm satisfied, really satisfied...until I go FI after my warranty is up in 2 years...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Let me see if I can help a little bit.

For CA SMOG emissions
-No longtubes are legal due to pushing the cat's farther back
-Shorty header's are legal if they have a carb eo number which you better find out before your purchase that its for your year mustang.
-Highflow cat's ARE legal, make them retain factory location. Change them before January 1st 2009 and you will not have issues. After that date any cat's that are being changed will have to have a carb eo number basically.
-Anything after the cat does not matter for smog.

Law Enforcement
-No catalytic converter ticket would cost you 10,000$ here sorry it would if you were the shop that did the illegal work though.
-Depending on which part of CA you live depends on how much they enforce the law.
-LA area is the worst by far because of the street racing, they have shut down almost every speed shop down their.
-I believe exhaust can be 96 or 98db. So no mufflers is sort out of the question in southern cali
-They can only impound your car if they find 3 illegal modifications. (example- Non legal intake, non legal headers, no cats)
-Also be prepared if you have anything that has a braided line they are so well "trained" now, that braided= nitrous lines.

So how to fix this problem of modding your car for when you get pulled over (not for smog)
Under the hood if you are running intake make sure it has the carb eo number or put on their from something else. Run Hi flow cat's with electronic cut out's right before them. They can't give you **** for that really. Its sort of a gray area because they are closed. Any different wiring, nitrous, or any braided line you may want to just think about plastic loom, or the black braided expandable sleeving.

Just be lucky you guys don't drive an import otherwise you would be getting 10x more crap from the police here in CA
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

wow guys thanks for all this info I was just looking at some clips and Pypes Mid Muffler and Pypes Catted X sounds pretty damn good to me anyone know if there legal? lol also Sleep Deprived I work right by LAX were pretty damn close lol hopefully we will catch a glimpse of each other one day you will know its me cause you will hear my tires peel out =) hehehe anyway if anyone knows if there legal or what not please get back to me =)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm found soemthing that looks interesting the Bassani Aft-Cat System Exhaust anyone know were I can find a clip of it on a S197 Body Stang? with no other mods also anyone ever worked with this site? http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2648379.aspx

Quick Reply: Best CA Legal Exhaust Setup?