Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any performance difference between Kooks and ARH LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Any performance difference between Kooks and ARH LTs?

Hey guys,

This past weekend I changed out my exhaust again.

To recap, my 1st set up was stock H pipe and SLP loudmouths. Sounded awesome, shouldn't have changed. Wanted more power so I switched the stock H pipe for Pypes O/R X. Insanely loud, droned, bad. Put stock axle backs on. Sounded quieter and raspy. GF hated it. Put Pypes Mid muffler system on with the O/R X. Sounded great at first, got louder as it broke in, got some drone at 2800 rpms but sounded great above 3k rpm.

Wanted something quieter, cleaner, and no drone.

Put on Corsa axle backs this past Sunday. With the O/R X pipe, it was almost as loud as the SLP loudmouths but it had no drone but sounded like a truck.

Just put the stock H pipe back on with the Corsa axle backs. Wow, its quiet! No drone, but not much else.

I got the Corsa's because I think they sound awesome with LTs and hi-flow cats.

Question is, is there a performance difference between these two LTs or other LTs because there is a noticeable price difference.

Lastly, what would be the performance difference it I just put on an X pipe with hi-flow cats vs LTs with hi-flow cats and an X pipe?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Brilliant09GT

I know the performance difference with an X pipe with HF cats vs LT's will be quite significant. But with the LT's you still have to have a midpipe. So you can do both LT's AND high flow catted X pipe.

You selling your Pypes MM setup by any chance? Dont mean to change the topic.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

I think the real difference you are paying for is build quality and fit between expensive headers and cheap ones.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I was going to put this in my own words to sound smart but what the hell...I got this responce from a we'll known Advertiser after asking a price quote for the ARH longtubes.

After shipping, I can get you in at around 1400 for the catted H pipe in an 1 5/8" header. I can get you in at like 1310 shipped for the Kooks 1 5/8" header with catted X or H, which I think is a nicer product, honestly. You'll see less torque loss, and more horsepower. The Kooks aren't a midlength, but not as long as the ARH, by doing this we've seen better torque numbers accross the board. They are still fully constructed of T304 Stainless Steel and mandrel bent 1 5/8" primaries. They are 3/8" thick nickel-plated CNC flanges that are also stainless steel, and come complete with gaskets, hardware, and o2 extensions. They have the same firecone collectors, as a matter of fact, ARH's employees all used to work at Kooks. You know you're getting a GREAT product. Let me know if you have absolutely any questions or concerns in the mean time! Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I can't answer for the ARH but I did have the Kooks LT w/cat'd H pipe installed and the guy that did the install said it was one of the best kits that he's installed. He mentioned that the fit was very good.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Heavyg72
I can't answer for the ARH but I did have the Kooks LT w/cat'd H pipe installed and the guy that did the install said it was one of the best kits that he's installed. He mentioned that the fit was very good.
Got a vid of your exhaust system?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brilliant09GT
I know the performance difference with an X pipe with HF cats vs LT's will be quite significant. But with the LT's you still have to have a midpipe. So you can do both LT's AND high flow catted X pipe.

You selling your Pypes MM setup by any chance? Dont mean to change the topic.
PM sent.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I was talking to a friend that has an exhaust shop. He has installed the Kooks LTs with mid pipe. He likes that product and notes that while it is an 8 hr job, you don't have to mess with the motor mounts to make room. He also said that the Kooks is a true long tube header. I had heard that they were longer than a traditional mid length but not a true long tube header.

Is this true, can a slightly shorter LT give you the best of both worlds, less torque loss down low with more hp and torque above 3K rpms than a shorty or true LT?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Like SONICBOOST3 said, the ARH's are a spinoff company from Kook's, both out of Long Island, NY Similar build quality & materials. The only thing about the ARH's is , is that they are so long that the O2 sensors never quite get hot enough, requiring the tuner to keep the O2 heaters on all the time, or else the car won't run right. I was told this by one of the top tuners in the country, and he said thats ok if you don't mind changing out sensors every year to year and a half, otherwise go with the Kooks.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
Like SONICBOOST3 said, the ARH's are a spinoff company from Kook's, both out of Long Island, NY Similar build quality & materials. The only thing about the ARH's is , is that they are so long that the O2 sensors never quite get hot enough, requiring the tuner to keep the O2 heaters on all the time, or else the car won't run right. I was told this by one of the top tuners in the country, and he said thats ok if you don't mind changing out sensors every year to year and a half, otherwise go with the Kooks.
+1 go with the Kooks. If it was my car that's what i would do and I live within 20 minutes of both shops and have met the owners of both. Also, if you plan on staying with the Corsas, go with the H not the X. Here's my car with the MRT H.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/487744-y-all-wanted-to-hear-the-mrt-catted-h-pipe-other-vids-too.html

Quick Reply: Any performance difference between Kooks and ARH LTs?