Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual or Automatic

Don, that is what I am most afraid of... my other car will get parked out back with weeds and stickerbushes growing up around it and in a year or two I won't even know it ever existed...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:41 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scaught

Don, that is what I am most afraid of... my other car will get parked out back with weeds and stickerbushes growing up around it and in a year or two I won't even know it ever existed...
So... what's your point?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 757GT

Tony, the car looks great. I just switched my exhuast to loud-mouth. I definitely recommend it.
Thanks for the comp. I'm glad you decided to give them a try. I will buy me some as soon as some more green backs come rolling in. Oh by the way, if you find any, i'm collecting hundred dollar bills. It's kind of a hobby of mine. So far I haven't found any but i'm looking.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:32 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

If ur looking to buy one drive them both. Motor trend said that the 5 speed will run 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Then in the little colum on the side they said the auto will probably be 4.8 or 4.9 seconds to 60. Also 3.55 and 3.37 gears are not that much of a differance. If the manual was runnin 3.73 and the auto 3.27s then the 5 speed would be quicker. The sad truth is, america is getting lazy and buying automatics, so car companies need them to shift faster. Thats just the way it is. I agree though that it is more fun to drive a stick. DD=auto, fun car=stick.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: td1320

ORIGINAL: 757GT

Tony, the car looks great. I just switched my exhuast to loud-mouth. I definitely recommend it.
Thanks for the comp. I'm glad you decided to give them a try. I will buy me some as soon as some more green backs come rolling in. Oh by the way, if you find any, i'm collecting hundred dollar bills. It's kind of a hobby of mine. So far I haven't found any but i'm looking.
I'm looking for some of those bills myself. I found the rims I want yesterday. Unfortunately they are more $ than I got.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
cgilbert

I was, and still am, totally impressed by the automatic tranny. The acceleration is great, when you're not in the throttle it feels like the car will glide forever.

When I was looking I definitely thought I wanted a 5 speed, but driving the auto changed my mind. It works for me. Although my daughter's boyfriend scoffed that I bought an auto, he just doesn't have the choice, couldn't afford either.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Dare
1st Gear Member

I'm going with manual personally... my current car is an auto that I've had for 5 years and it's nice, but I feel like I have to baby it a lot, or accelerate juuuuust right to keep it in the gear I want. Nothing more annoying than hitting the accelerator a touch too hard causing it to downshifting the auto for only a few seconds because you didn't want it to downshift it the first place. I really miss having a clutch, I miss the fun of driving it even though I suck at it, the control (maybe I'm just ****?), but I feel like I can also push it harder without breaking it.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: td1320

If you don't own an Auto how can you speak intelligently about one?
I've driven one that's how. I sure hope your auto with 4.10's and a flash can beat my manual. You would look like quite an *** if it didn't. I ran a 2.0 60' STOCK and I can to better with my manual.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:23 AM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

I had an AT, and I enjoyed the ease of driving it for about two weeks, then I got upset that I didn't have a MT, because I have driven a MT for the Past 9 years. I actually started driving my Truck which is MT again more often.

I deal with the worst SoCal traffic around, just ask Don, he deals with half of what I have to deal with. My first 05' was totalled, so I now have a MT, don't make my mistake, get the MT from the start.

BTW, I will be using mine as a daily driver, because I don't think I will want to drive my truck.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
wondercoolguy
1st Gear Member

Here's my take on Auto vs Manual

If your car is going to be a city car. Then auto is the way to go!!!! Stop sign after stop light it gets annoying always having to switch gears. If your going to have it be your showing off car and take out to go highway fast, then manual is the way to go. But that's just my opinion I'm getting an automatic.

[sm=violent053.gif]

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic