MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   General shop prices for installs? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/489774-general-shop-prices-for-installs.html)

Gryphon 10-13-2008 12:56 PM

General shop prices for installs?

Hey all...

Im looking to add the s/c this coming spring so I am shopping around my tiny city at a few of the shops that are capable of doing this and the one I really like quoted me out @ $60.00 an hour for work.

Is that reasonable? Whats the prices around where you guys get your stuff done (for those who dont do it themselves that is). I know different city, different states, different shops and so on will make this a huge variety of prices but I am just curious to see if I am in the ballpark as far as costs go.

Im debating doing myself but I dont know a whole hell of a lot about engines in so on...sad I know.

Thanks for the help

shoeys08dkcandygt 10-13-2008 12:59 PM

i work at a land rover dealer in nashville, tn and my labor rate is $98/hr. and i know some of the ford dealers around here are bout $70-$80/hr for customer pay work.

cobra443 10-13-2008 01:01 PM

Where are you located? Average install range varies quite a bit. I wouldnt pay anymore than 1500. I would search for a major shop with lots of experience. You may pay more buy youll have the added security that it was done right. Also check into a dyno tune.

hammeron 10-13-2008 01:03 PM

hey Gryphon, i'll be honest with you, you don't
really need to know anything about engines, to
bolt on a super charger.

all you need, is to be able to read the instructions
and carry out the steps. if you have a question
during the install, many of us would help answer
it right away.

Originally Posted by Gryphon (Post 5541597)
Hey all...

Im debating doing myself but I dont know a whole hell of a lot about engines in so on...sad I know.

Gryphon 10-13-2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by hammeron (Post 5541624)
hey Gryphon, i'll be honest with you, you don't
really need to know anything about engines, to
bolt on a super charger.

all you need, is to be able to read the instructions
and carry out the steps. if you have a question
during the install, many of us would help answer
it right away.

Thanks to all of you for the input so far about pricing and everything else. I am in Cedar Rapids Iowa and the shop I like does really amazing work and they stand buy it, plus the owners are friends of friends so they are pretty nice.

As for the install myself I am really leaning towards doing that...I am still in a toss up between the KB s/c and Whipple so Im not sure yet which way im going....

Im sure id have about a million questions even with instructions but I bet I could do it

Thanks a bunch

Hufenstang 10-13-2008 01:14 PM

i paid 700 for my install in the houston area

SONICBOOST3 10-13-2008 02:12 PM

$600-$1,200 is fair. I paid $600 for the install and $500 for my dyno tune. Anything over $1,200 is ridiculous IMO...

ybnormal 10-13-2008 11:00 PM

You need to tell us a lil more about what kinda of SC you are looking at. Oh you did KB or Whipple. Im in va and one of the ford dealers here sells the part and the install is 600 bucks., It comes with a tune but it was not the intercooled HO kit. I think you should go intercooled if at all possible. the whipple is a nice SC well thought out and most everything you need in one shot, they even have a cust support. KB is a good SC to but you might have to add a few things to your install list and when I called them they were not as friendly with info. plus 2 of the shops around here have problems with getting parts or service with them.
You can do it, plenty of info on here and you can download the instructions before you even buy one. good luck to you

Gryphon 10-13-2008 11:14 PM

Im undecided sadly...

I want the loud ass whine that comes...and Im not sure which is the better option. I know both puts out a pretty good quality s/c....so Im not sure which way to go! I know most of you are whipples and love em...are they pretty loud screamers?

As for the intercooler...for a non-gearhead like me, hows the install for that go? Just follow directions and it shouldnt be a problem or you have modifications and so on extra you have to do? Just trying to get a general idea before I pull the trigger ya kno.

Thanks for all the help so far though guys.

Hufenstang 10-13-2008 11:19 PM

have you ever considered the new saleen supershaker? it really screams too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujVOE...eature=related

Just thought i would throw it out there, brenspeed is having free installs on them at the moment.