Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch is slipping with the Whipple on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
CobraO
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch is slipping with the Whipple on.

I'm sure this does not surprise anyone, but my stock clutch, with only 3800 miles on it, is slipping when trying to pull in 4th or 5th gears.

So I'm on my stock crappy tires and wheels, but the clutch is giving out. Has everyone switched to an aftermarket clutch, or anyone running the stocker? Just curious, I figured I would have to change it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

mine slipped really bad when i put my kit on, I switched to something that could hold the power a lot better.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

It may sound silly Cobra, but make sure you keep your foot completely off the pedal when you put the "other" foot in the fan. May help a little.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
CobraO
1st Gear Member

It is slipping without touching the pedal at all. I know what you mean though. I had two other people drive the car and they said the same thing. Guess I'll look for a new clutch.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:05 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraO
It is slipping without touching the pedal at all. I know what you mean though. I had two other people drive the car and they said the same thing. Guess I'll look for a new clutch.
I have the Mcleod RST Twin disc with a McLeod billet steel flywheel. Its good for 800hp to the crank. Pedal pressure is just like stock, car shifts great, and its easy to drive in traffic no chatter or excessive clutch noise, it also works perfectly with the stock TOB. With an SC you don't want to go "cheap" on the clutch setup.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
CobraO
1st Gear Member

^^^ What did that combo set you back? Who did you order it from?

thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraO
^^^ What did that combo set you back? Who did you order it from?

thanks for the info.

I ordered it from http://gtrhipo.com/ $650 for the clutch $225 for the billet steel flywheel it was during a group buy I put together for the users on this forum, if you call them and tell them you missed the group buy they might still cut you some sort of deal. I have a Spec's aluminum flywheel that needs a new face if you are interested, it will work with the RST.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
xtreme02gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
I ordered it from http://gtrhipo.com/ $650 for the clutch $225 for the billet steel flywheel it was during a group buy I put together for the users on this forum, if you call them and tell them you missed the group buy they might still cut you some sort of deal. I have a Spec's aluminum flywheel that needs a new face if you are interested, it will work with the RST.
DAMN!!!!!! $875 is that shipped?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

going wide open throttle in those steep final gears will kill the clutch. to much load, and the stock clutch wasn't designed to handle 450 rwtq lol
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not suprised it's slipping with a whipple and 3.25 inch pulley. Mine lasted 8,000 miles, but a lot of those were easy miles and 1/2 were with only 8lbs of boost. I wouldn't bother replacing your TOB with only 3,000 miles on it. At least that will save you $100.

Quick Reply: Clutch is slipping with the Whipple on.