Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

G-Trac Install... am i an idiot???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default G-Trac Install... am i an idiot???

OK, i've been under my car for the past hour trying to install this damn thing. i've already made 1 Sears run to spend $8.65 on a freakin 12mm Hex Wrench for the supplied bolts, but i can't even get the factory bolts out. the driver's side factory nut came off with a 7/8 open ended wrench, but the same wrench isn't working on the passenger side... it keeps slipping like it's just a bit too big. but it worked perfectly on the driver side... wtf. of course on the driver's side i also used a 22mm socket to get the nut the rest of the way off the bolt. but it's a shallow 22mm so i can't use it till the nut is half way off the bolt and i don't have a 22mm deepsocket or open-ended wrench... looks like it's time for another Sear's run. this is going to end up being a $20, 3-hour install for a $50 part. ridiculous...

how has everybody been doing this in 15 minutes like it's easier than a wheel change? i've already spent twice as long as my rear sway bar took and i'm not even half done.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I dont think its a 15 minute install at all really.....an hour for most i would say atleast.

7/8 is not the correct size....everything is metric. a 100-200 piece mechanic set is your best friend, invest in one.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

well that would be why, i wonder why i was able to get the driver's side off with the 7/8 wrench... weird. i'm a broke college kid, i've got about $5 to my name right now so i can't really go pick up a 200 piece mechanic's set. trust me, i would. i'm working on my tool collection, i've got a jack, 4 stands, chucks, inch-lb and ft-lb torrque wrenches and a couple of other miscelaneous specialty tools. i borrowed my roommates tool set, but all of the metric deep sockets and open wrenches only went to 18mm but it's good to know that's all i need to finish this up.

next up: LCA install... that should be fun...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

well i went a bought a set of craftsman metric combination wrenches and after failing yesterday to get the passenger side factory bolt off, i tried again today for another hour and a half... it won't budge. i soaked it in WD40 for 10 minutes, i even tried spinning the bottom part that's welded to that tonque piece just hoping it would losen up the nut a slight bit. nothing. i pulled and pulled. my friend pulled and pulled. soaked it in WD40. and repeated over and over. so far the only thing i have accomplished is notching the head of one of my new wrenches. wtf kind of bolt did Ford use and how tight did they put it on that it will bend the head of a craftsman wrench? i'm at a loss for words right now because of how frustrated i am. i've run out of options besides taking it to a shop and having the damn thing cut out.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I finally got it.

it took 2 WD40 soaks, one chrome wheel cleaner soak (to remove road grime), one bent/messed up wrench, and 3 guys taking turns tugging on it. finally put a closed end wrench over the nut and jammed another wrench behind my transmission and used it as a lever on the other wrench to get enough leverage. never seen a bolt that tight in my life. anyway, if you don't run into a bolt from hell like i did, should be a <1 hour job. just make sure you either have a 22mm wrench or deep socket, a shallow socket won't work. other than that, it's pretty straight forward... two bolts out, bar and two bolts in, done.

not a huge difference performance wise, but the front end seems a bit more responsive. like from the time i make steering input to the time the front end reacts, seems less. i'm doing an AutoX this sunday so i'll be able to get a better idea under load. for the price, i'd say do it. easy to install (for most), cheap, and actually makes a difference. it's also very light, few pounds max.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
DocVenture
1st Gear Member

Your car sounds like mine. Every simple install I do ends up being a pain. All worth it in the end though.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

mine was tight as hell also, plus whoever built mine loved the loctite. Having a breaker bar and extension will also help you. Your doing LCA next are they adjustable? Is your car lowered or is going to be? I have a lowered 07 and I put on non adjustable steeda LCA s and went with an adjustable Upper Oh I did put the relocation bracket for the LCA but You will tell a difference with this mod. My car handles great with these.
The G trac I couldnt tell any differnce.
good luck on your next install