Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aggressive vs Mellow Borla Stingers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I vote Pansy...

Since everyone here has mentioned that Stingers drone, it's safe to assume it wasn't your install. Swap them out if its driving you crazy.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

For your info.....Borla makes the Stinger ( aggressive) and what they call the Oval or Touring ( deep & fairly mellow). Replaced my FRPP GTA's with the Ovals and just love them with my Kook's Long tubes...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

check the FAQ's on borla's web site.

They say that their private label mufflers, such as frpp and steeda, may have a louder or quieter sound than the borla label stingers depending on what steeda or ford asked for.

It may be that one "brand" has more drone than the other.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I had the Borla Stingers on my car for one day, and took them off because of the ridiculous amount of drone inside the car. They sounded awesome outside the car, but inside it really was unbearable, I have an auto, so when you're cruising around, at say, 1800- 2000 rpm's, it drives you nuts. Its a shame because otherwise they sounded nice! I'd drive in a car that has them first, seriously, because I bought them based on hearing them in person from the outside, then drove with them on after I bought them, hated them, had to take them off, re sell them at a loss, etc. Hassle.

I went to the FRPP GTA's, they're nice! Not quite as nice as the Stinger's sound, but its totally liveable inside the car, (which is where you are all the time).

nmd55 (and Nuke) No Pansy. Its just that it gets obnoxious real quick that drone, and there's other people besides me who will be in the car with me who won't like it either. I felt I had just paid for a brand new car to make it sound like sh*t inside ?! Also, I've done the old hot rod, loud as hell thing to death. My '72 Cuda back in the day: Hooker headers, Thrush glasspacks, etc, etc That was cool when I was 20, now I'm 40, I want a little more civilized sounding car ( at least from the inside becuase I liked the Stingers sound from the outside, but unfortunately it sounds much different inside the car, which is where you are when you're driving it!) Plus, having an auto trans does not help!

Last edited by JimsGT; 10-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No problem, JimsGT. I'd probably lean towards finding a happier medium if it wasn't for running highway above 2,000 RPM about 95% of my drive time in the Stang
Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
No problem, JimsGT. I'd probably lean towards finding a happier medium if it wasn't for running highway above 2,000 RPM about 95% of my drive time in the Stang
Yeah, no offense taken. If I had a manual, it'd be easier to stay out of that range, I might've kept them.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
I had the Borla Stingers on my car for one day, and took them off because of the ridiculous amount of drone inside the car. They sounded awesome outside the car, but inside it really was unbearable, I have an auto, so when you're cruising around, at say, 1800- 2000 rpm's, it drives you nuts. Its a shame because otherwise they sounded nice! I'd drive in a car that has them first, seriously, because I bought them based on hearing them in person from the outside, then drove with them on after I bought them, hated them, had to take them off, re sell them at a loss, etc. Hassle.

I went to the FRPP GTA's, they're nice! Not quite as nice as the Stinger's sound, but its totally liveable inside the car, (which is where you are all the time).
+1

The only thing I can throw out that disagrees with every post on here is that 1900-2000 rpm bit. I heard drone from about 1200 up to 2000. It did reach its loudest point at about 1900. But all the way down to 1200 it was still too $*%^& annoying for me. So I'm just throwing out there that if drone bothers you, don't be assured that's is just some minor thing because it will only happen in some narrow range of just 100 rpm.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:38 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Well mine will be here hopefully for the end of next week.... the price I got them for was great but I'll have to get them installed and see what I think.... if there to loud then I guess I'll be throwing them on ebay.....

Or actually I could just switch to the mellows now as mine still have been shipped - thats a thought.... or I just live with it.....
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheB1GDude
Well mine will be here hopefully for the end of next week.... the price I got them for was great but I'll have to get them installed and see what I think.... if there to loud then I guess I'll be throwing them on ebay.....
Try installing them yourself. There's really nothing to it since it's all clamped and not welded. Especially with TacoBill's "HowTo", it's really a snap. All you need are a set of ramps (use them when you do your oil changes) and 2 different size wrenches, if I recall. I probably had mine on and the car off the ramps in an hour.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

+1 These are real easy to install. I with from stock to Stingers back to stock (after selling the stingers) and then to GTA's. I did all this with no jacks, ramps, or jack stands. First time I did it in an hour. The last time I did it in 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Aggressive vs Mellow Borla Stingers