MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   header install question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/490182-header-install-question.html)

lazyboy31614@aol.com 10-14-2008 07:58 PM

header install question

i'm planning on installing a set of BBK shorty tube headers. I was wondering how long the install would be on my 05 Mustang GT. I've heared that it takes around 5 hours. It seems rather straight forward the only problem i could see would be the motor mount on the driver side or maybe the starter. I have access to a hoist though im not sure if that will make a difference but please any information on a header install would be greatly appreciated.

SirKnightTG 10-14-2008 08:19 PM

Here you go: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html

Redsox401 10-14-2008 10:21 PM

i just did my LT install and it was ok shories should be a lot better. the starter has a top bolt that makes you want to punch a baby but you may not have to remove it the shorties may fit through i think i took the stock header out befor i removed the starter. you will have to move the stering rack. you shouldnt have a problem. use the hoist it will help, both motor mounts are simple just need about 1" raise of the engine

sailing220 10-14-2008 10:33 PM

Took me about 10 hours, but I wasn't just working. That night can only be described as an after-hours Goodyear tire pizza party/header install..night..

Should take you 5-6 hours if you don't get distracted.

SirKnightTG 10-14-2008 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Redsox401 (Post 5547814)
makes you want to punch a baby

LOL!!!!

I seriously laughed out loud for quite some time with that one. :D

lazyboy31614@aol.com 10-15-2008 09:19 PM

awesome thanks you guys for your input and thanks SirKnightTG for that link it was a big help

Texotic 10-15-2008 10:24 PM

punch a baby... lol.

SCCAGT 10-16-2008 12:59 PM

Starter has to come out to install those headers. The top bolt can be accessed with a loooonng extension and a swivel. Been there done that quite a few times on mine and other Mustangs. Factory stuff all comes out without any drama. The engine has to be lifted for clearance on the passenger side to install the new header.
Also, if you unbolt the a/c compressor, you can get to the two front lower manifold bolts.

Having an nice assortment of tools makes this job less likely to offend someones ears due to you getting pissed off. Extensions, swivels, and racheting wrenches in particular make this much easier to do than trying to get by with sockets and normal wrenches.

08StangGT_CS 10-16-2008 03:12 PM

Hey whats up Texotic, headed up there tomorrow for the tech game!

wasvette 10-16-2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com (Post 5547274)
i'm planning on installing a set of BBK shorty tube headers. I was wondering how long the install would be on my 05 Mustang GT. I've heared that it takes around 5 hours. It seems rather straight forward the only problem i could see would be the motor mount on the driver side or maybe the starter. I have access to a hoist though im not sure if that will make a difference but please any information on a header install would be greatly appreciated.

Allow a "buffer day" in case it takes you longer than anticipated. I.E. Don't start on Sunday if you work Monday.
My Tips:
>>>>> Make sure you have a lot of alcohol in the house -you'll need it after the install
>>>>> Air tools with swivel are a must
>>>>> Know up front unless you're a pro mechanic it will take you more than 5 hours
>>>>> Pray when you have to plug the right side 02 sensor back in
>>>>> Swap the motor mounts (Steeda or Prothane) while you're in there
>>>>> Know up front the pass side is worse than the driver's side
>>>>> Pray
>>>>> Pray