Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

my estimate for HP add-ons correct???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

A couple of notes on things here:

1. Headers do not need a tune, other than to turn off the rear O2's if they were deleted and to update the switching speeds on the O2 sensors. Shorties don't even need that much. You MIGHT see a couple of more horsepower from them if you played with Cam phasing, but it would seriously be on the order of 1 to 3 hp at best.

2. The difference in gains from one CAI to another, is minimal. On average, an Intake and tune combo will net 20 hp, give or take. Of that 20, 15 is from the tune. You may see a couple horse extra from this intake or a couple of ft/lbs more from that one, but they are all going to be very similar in gains. I started with a K&N, then went to a C&L, and now run a Modular Depot Profab intake and honestly, the only difference I have seen is about a 4 hp bump (and a 2 ft/lb drop) from the K&N to the C&L and a 1 hp gain and 7 ft/lb gain from the C&L to the Profab, and the Profab gives the best quality and consistant signal from the MAF. I've had a few customers switch form the K&N (with a tune) to another unit, and they are always disappointed that the gains are not larger after all they have heard. IMO, if you already have a K&N, use the money somewhere else.

3. X pipe will give you a slight bump on the top end, H pipes tend more towards low end power. Sound should really be the deciding factor here as the differences are, at best, minimal between the two.

As for power at the wheels.. I'd say your just a frogs hair north of 300 and in the range of 310 ft/lbs.