Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question on exhaust

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

supposedly, if you lose back pressure, you lose torque... that would be why it's harder to go up hills.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
supposedly, if you lose back pressure, you lose torque... that would be why it's harder to go up hills.
lmao. i highly doubt you feel it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

The only way back pressure loss will be that great and detrimental is if you throw a 3 inch system on a stock mustang. otherwise, you're fine.

Lower back pressure is not the same as un-corking you exhaust.

Picture it this way: Ever gone to a store, ordered a pepsi, and drank it through a regular sized straw? Now go to McDonalds. They have larger straws, correct? You get more soda through that straw, right? Now drink it through a paper towel roll. not so good..

May not be the proper analogy, but I am really thirsty.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
The only way back pressure loss will be that great and detrimental is if you throw a 3 inch system on a stock mustang. otherwise, you're fine.

Lower back pressure is not the same as un-corking you exhaust.

Picture it this way: Ever gone to a store, ordered a pepsi, and drank it through a regular sized straw? Now go to McDonalds. They have larger straws, correct? You get more soda through that straw, right? Now drink it through a paper towel roll. not so good..

May not be the proper analogy, but I am really thirsty.
crap

now im thirsty...
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

everyone is stupid. brenspeed has tested this setup. SLP Loudmouth + Offroad H pipe. Sounds like a 60's muscle car.... No Cats. Most had mufflers but still. Its initally straight pipes from the headers back. Wont hurt anything. It would just be loud as ****. It's the loudest exhaust combo you can have on the S197 Mustang. Thow in some loud headers and yeah. You're making some noise. SLP's don't sound like ****. If you like it loud, they will make you grin from ear to ear. They sound amazing!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD05GT
everyone is stupid. brenspeed has tested this setup. SLP Loudmouth + Offroad H pipe. Sounds like a 60's muscle car.... No Cats. Most had mufflers but still. Its initally straight pipes from the headers back. Wont hurt anything. It would just be loud as ****. It's the loudest exhaust combo you can have on the S197 Mustang. Thow in some loud headers and yeah. You're making some noise. SLP's don't sound like ****. If you like it loud, they will make you grin from ear to ear. They sound amazing!
+1 slp sound mean as hell with a o/r pipe straight nascar sounding.

we had a car cruise with about 30 cars there and more then half the peeps there were going off and asking me about my exhaust and how it was so dam mean and that there stingers gotta go.

Ive come to the conclusion that people talk smack about the slp lm cause it clowns there set up and majority of the people commenting on how it sounds so bad, come to find out they have never even heared that set up in person......seems to be a trend on the forums is just copy what others say even though u have no experience first hand.

my 02
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have not heard SLPs in person on a Stang, but I did hear them on a 2000-2002 Camaro Z28. I was rather intriged by them. I didn't know if I liked them or hated them.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD05GT
I know videos don't give nearly the full detail, but I was listening to one clip comparing Maganpacks and SLPs on 05+ Mustang GT. The magpaacks sounded deeper and more defined, but the SLPs sounded more raw and loader. Both systems sound good and have that muscle car tone. A person on another board combined the two systems and made a midmuffler system.