Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Next Mod :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
GTtorch06
1st Gear Member

Default Next Mod :)

So, I finally bought/installed my CAI and tune from bamachips. I'm really happy with the outcome, and I can't get over how awesome the 91 racing tune feels

But now that it's been about a month, I'm preparing for my next mod. I hear exhaust will probably be the next step. So I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best exhaust system in terms of hp gains?
I really don't care about sound whatsoever. I would much rather my car BE fast, than SOUND fast (the sounds is just a nice plus). Money isn't that much of an issue since I don't need to buy anything immediately.

I was thinking maybe gears as well, but I know that doesn't add hp, just makes your start faster, but I'm really not sure if I want to sacrifice traction.

I heard underdrive pulleys aren't worth the money on a GT, so I probably wont be doing that.

If anyone has anything to enlighten me about - thanks in advance
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTtorch06
So, I finally bought/installed my CAI and tune from bamachips. I'm really happy with the outcome, and I can't get over how awesome the 91 racing tune feels

But now that it's been about a month, I'm preparing for my next mod. I hear exhaust will probably be the next step. So I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best exhaust system in terms of hp gains?
I really don't care about sound whatsoever. I would much rather my car BE fast, than SOUND fast (the sounds is just a nice plus). Money isn't that much of an issue since I don't need to buy anything immediately.

I was thinking maybe gears as well, but I know that doesn't add hp, just makes your start faster, but I'm really not sure if I want to sacrifice traction.

I heard underdrive pulleys aren't worth the money on a GT, so I probably wont be doing that.

If anyone has anything to enlighten me about - thanks in advance
According to your sign you live in CA, which means you can't legally run long tube headers. Without running long tube header you won't gain much if any noticable hp from an exhaust setup, it would be pretty much for sound. If you don't care about smog then get long tube headers, and an off road x-pipe and remove the cats, and you will pick up some power. How much don't know off hand my exhaust is stock. If you have a manual transmission get 4.10s you will really like them, car will pull much hard than it does now, 3.73's for AT is what most guys are running (I think). Lots of people on the forums run UDP's, dont personally have any experience with those. But if you really want your car to go faster get an SC.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

shorties will get you some gains down lower, but won't have the big gains up top LT's have. but you can't run LT's so you might as well get what you can. i would assume the best setup power wise, but staying legal in cali would be shorties, hi-flow catted X-pipe, and muffler deletes.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
shorties will get you some gains down lower, but won't have the big gains up top LT's have. but you can't run LT's so you might as well get what you can. i would assume the best setup power wise, but staying legal in cali would be shorties, hi-flow catted X-pipe, and muffler deletes.
Muffler deletes! That would get you pulled over quick as hell in CA.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

I've been running the deletes for almost a year now with no tickets. Just stay outa the gas when you see the police and you should be alright. Thats been my strategy and it has worked so far................... watch I'll get a ticket tomorrow!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

muffler deletes don't give you hp, do they?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

No HP is gained from the deletes. The stock system flow really well already. All your doin is taking off the muzzle so the GT can really bark.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TDC71
I've been running the deletes for almost a year now with no tickets. Just stay outa the gas when you see the police and you should be alright. Thats been my strategy and it has worked so far................... watch I'll get a ticket tomorrow!

Hey What's up TDC71? Where have you been hidding? That car must be loud as hell! Remember Sacramento Raceway Black GT Saleen SC? Car is almost dailed in now, going to the track again Wednesday if the weather clears up.

No removing the mufflers gives you little if any HP, but does make it sound fast.

BTW: I drive to fast to see the police!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TDC71
No HP is gained from the deletes. The stock system flow really well already. All your doin is taking off the muzzle so the GT can really bark.
what about when you get a CAI? doesn't that make air flow in more, so getting bigger pipes out back should help it flow better after that addition, right?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

Hey Sactown!
Been off the radar for awhile. Did a career change some time ago. Got tired of fixn cars for a living. Plus with the way the economy is goin work is drying up. The small shop i was at was still good but Dealerships are shutting down left n right. Went to teach at Wyotech. So far its been a great change.Hope it stays that way. I will try to get out there and run my car. havent had a chance to see what the CAI and tune will do for my times.

Quick Reply: Next Mod :)