Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to Decide Dynotech DS or Powerhouse DS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Trying to Decide Dynotech DS or Powerhouse DS

So I am almost ready to get an Alum DS and cant decide between these two.

First car background is a Whipple SC Manual with 484rwhp 469 rwtq. Rear suspension is BMR Fixed UCA, and BMR adj LCA's with a CHE Adj Panhard and roush rear springs.

The car is my DD and I dont want any vibration.

The Dynotech is a 3.5" shaft with a good rep and runs about $730. I know someone who installed it and they have 0 vibes. I would use a CHE DS loop. I like this one since its a 3.5" so I know I wont have any clearance issues, but with the small drop I doubt I would have any with a 4". OTD should be around $820 for the shaft and loop.

"The aluminum one piece driveshaft is a great way to improve driveshaft strength and reduce rotating weight. This driveshaft is rated to 900 HP and currently being used on 1000 rwhp Mustangs. By eliminating rotating mass you are going to improve horsepower, torque, and reduce drag racing elapsed times. Dynotech has 80 years of balancing experience and currently builds driveshafts for IHRA, NHRA, Nascar, and Busch racing series vehicles. You will find less expensive aluminum driveshafts available but none come close to the experience used to manufacturer the Dynotech driveshaft. This driveshaft is a direct bolt in design unlike some of the less expensive shafts. Simply un-bolt your factory driveshaft and bolt in this driveshaft."
http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft05gt.html

The other is a powerhouse DS from CHE that comes with their loop for $730. Its a 4" shaft and seems like a good one and I would save around $100.

"PowerHouse Automotive, LLC 100% aluminum Driveshaft. Weighs nearly 30 pounds less than the stock shaft assembly, decreasing rotational mass.
The CHE Performance Driveshaft Safety loops is a direct bolt-in, NHRA approved design.
Fits 2005-Current Mustang 4.6L V8
  • Bolt in, no need to replace pinion flange and recheck rear gear setup
  • 4 inch diameter aluminum tubing
  • One piece driveshaft replaces the heavy 2-piece stock unit
  • 3.0 inch 23 spline coupler, with nearly 3.5 inches of spline engagement.
  • Includes dust cover to protect the splined section from dirt and debris.
  • Includes all hardware, and necessary adapters.
  • Installation requires only common hand tools and can be done in less than 1 hour "
I am all about saving money but I wouldnt mind spending the extra hundred if the Dynotech is a better DS and wont cause vibes.

Anyone have either of these or any input?

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
runner264

I have an Axle-Exchange DS and love it. Super strong and excellent quality. I know it's not either of your choices but I wouldn't rule out looking at it too. Good luck in your choice. You can't go wrong with either. It will free up more HP to your wheels too. I bet you see around 10 more HP from it due to less rotational drag.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
07gtdallas
1st Gear Member

hmmm well i am not gonna act like i know what i am talking about ......but i asked the same question and the answer i got was the http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/drive01.php so idk do you know how much the dynotech one weight?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yeah I know there are alot of spydershaft faithful but from the few people I know they get a vibe on decel. None of them care but that would really bother me on a DD.

I know it is possible to get a vibe with almost any shaft but I am trying to find one with the least ocurrance of it.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you already know this guru, but since this
is a driveshaft thread, i'll add this for
reference.

i have the dynotech 3.5" and don't feel any
vibs accelerating to and decelerating from
80. testing above that, will have to wait for
a run at the track.

so far, i'm very happy with this unit.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

yeah Hamm, I was ready to get the Dynotech with a CHE DS loop when I saw the "kit" they have online and I started to ponder.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I have the dynotech 3.5" and no issues either. I've had it up to at least 95 or so and it's been solid.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 12-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Yeah I know there are alot of spydershaft faithful but from the few people I know they get a vibe on decel. None of them care but that would really bother me on a DD.

I know it is possible to get a vibe with almost any shaft but I am trying to find one with the least ocurrance of it.

That's because they have their pinion angled to far down. I can make any driveshaft have a vibration on decel, except maybe the stocker. Decel vibration can be eliminated 100% by simply raising the pinion angle.

I think 98% of vibrations are install or pinion angle related. 1% is the shaft and the other 1% was always there, but hidden by the stock shaft.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hmm all these good reviews of the Dynotech are pushing me back that way.

Bruce, never heard of any issues with the adapters that I have heard of and the site states it is being used on 1000hp cars. My cars puny 484rwhp shouldnt stress it.

Now to pay off some bills and get this bad boy ordered. Might be a good b-day present to myself.

Quick Reply: Trying to Decide Dynotech DS or Powerhouse DS