Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What about nitrous instead of S/C

Old 11-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Default What about nitrous instead of S/C

Hello everyone, What is the cons with n2O?

What I have read it seems that it might be harder on the engine, than an S/C true/false?

Its way cheaper with a n2O kit, especially for someone like me who never goes to the track(Maybe once twice per year) So the bottle shouldn't empty so fast.

But how do you use a n2O kit? I have only seen it in movies, there they push a button and the hero takes off for the moon.

How much should you spray a stock motor?

Does it hurt the engine more then a S/C?

When should you spray?

What is the difference between wet and dry spray?

Who should I order the tune from? I have no dyno shop I can go to, so it have to be a e-mail tune.

Cliff notes:

I am interested in a N2O kit.
I don't know anything about N2O
Please enlighten me.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy
Hello everyone, What is the cons with n2O?

What I have read it seems that it might be harder on the engine, than an S/C true/false?

Its way cheaper with a n2O kit, especially for someone like me who never goes to the track(Maybe once twice per year) So the bottle shouldn't empty so fast.

But how do you use a n2O kit? I have only seen it in movies, there they push a button and the hero takes off for the moon.
I'm currently using a NOS kit with a 75 shot. Pretty much all of the kits out there NOS, NX, ZEX, Edelbrock, etc. are all controlled by a wide open throttle switch.

You open the bottle (remotely or by hand), and then turn on the system with a switch in the car. Once you go wide open throttle the nitrous will spray until you let off the throttle or flip the switch to "off".

The safest way is to incorporate a window switch. My NOS kit came with a digital wide open throttle switch/window switch combo. The window switch won't allow you to spray above or below a preset RPM. It's all done automatically. I mash the gas pedal and when the car gets to 3k RPM the nitrous system sprays. It shuts off at 6,000 rpm.

Originally Posted by Roy

How much should you spray a stock motor?
I started with a 50 shot, which really is too low. 75 shot (shot is slang for hp) is safe and most don't even recommend changing to colder plugs. I called NOS about that last point just to verify. You'll want to start with a 75 shot.

A 100 hp shot is generally considered safe, but you'll need a custom tune and a colder range of spark plugs.

You won't need a custom tune at 75 shot IF you're running stock timing. If you're using a custom tune, then you'll need someone to write you a new tune for any amount of nitrous.

As far as I know, tuners won't mail order a tune for over a 100 shot. You should probably get a dyno tune for something like that. There are people spraying a 125 shot without issue, but I consider that close to max. Others say 150 shot is the max.

The tuner will need to retard the timing for nitrous oxide. The higher the shot, the more timing will have to be pulled, making the car more sluggish when you're not spraying. If you aren't going to use the system on the street, then get a street tune and one you load for the track.

Originally Posted by Roy

Does it hurt the engine more then a S/C?
Nitrous is an oxidizer, when decomposed inside the engine it breaks up into oxygen and nitrogen. The idea is the same as a supercharger, forcing more oxygen into the engine. The supercharger uses a compressor and NOS does it chemically. If done properly it shouldn't be any harder on the engine. If you're really worried about it, then stop at a 75 shot.

People get in trouble with NOS when systems are installed incorrectly and they don't use proper safe equipment. That means a wide open throttle switch, window switch, fuel pressure safety switch (turns off nitrous if fuel pump fails), colder plugs (if needed) and a good tune.

People also get greedy. Adding power means simply changing out a few jets. It takes minutes. Some will run higher and higher shots until something breaks. NOS recommends no more than a 50% increase in power as a rule of thumb.

You also have to remember that we are blessed with a strong V8 engine. It's a lot easier to destroy a 4 cylinder engine with nitrous than a V8...seems pretty obvious, I suppose! A 100 shot on a V8 Mustang is OK, but I don't see how it would be safe for a Honda Civic unless it's had engine work.

Originally Posted by Roy

When should you spray?
Only at wide open throttle and only at a safe RPM (3k-6k or some say 2.5k to 6k rpm). The wide open throttle switch and window switch will do this for you automatically.

Originally Posted by Roy
What is the difference between wet and dry spray?
Wet mixes gasoline with the nitrous and is inject passed the MAF. That way you maintain a safe air/fuel ratio. It's safer and all kits for our cars that I know of are wet. A dry kit sprays in front of the MAF and requires the fuel injectors to maintain the proper air fuel ratio.

Originally Posted by Roy
Who should I order the tune from? I have no dyno shop I can go to, so it have to be a e-mail tune.
I've had nitrous tunes from Evolution Performance and Bama Chips. They've both been fine, but I think Bama Chips was a bit better. Any reputable custom tuner should be able to help you out.

Originally Posted by Roy
Cliff notes:

I am interested in a N2O kit.
I don't know anything about N2O
Please enlighten me.
There's some other finer points to discuss like heating the bottle, legality, purge and monitoring bottle pressure. I think that covers all the basics, though.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-08-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Great info! thank you very much!

I have a cai on the car with a brenspeed tune, dont know if something has been changed with the timing there?

I have already looked at the different mounting techniques so I got some ideas on that,

If you have any pics of your setup I would really like to see it.

I looked at some kits for about 600usd, is there something else I would need to get if i buy one of those? Like some kind of gauges and such maybe?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
yoyo8750LX

Pros of a supercharger is they are street legal.
Nitrous is illegal to use anywhere cept the track, if caught with it hooked up on the street they can tow your ride. Though cops are often nice enough to just warn you the first time they stop ya.

Rules for NOS
#1 don't get caught speeding.
As if you show off your quade bottles under a lighted display that takes up the whole back seat and or got NOS stickers all over with jet fighter switches they might just ask and warn you or flip out depeing on how fast / on how safely you were going that fast.

Also note if you wreck the thing and your gonna get more then a few thousand on a pay off, if the insurance adjuster see that stuff hooked up they can deny your claim.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy

I have a cai on the car with a brenspeed tune, dont know if something has been changed with the timing there?

I have already looked at the different mounting techniques so I got some ideas on that,

I looked at some kits for about 600usd, is there something else I would need to get if i buy one of those? Like some kind of gauges and such maybe?
I did a long write up about my kit on another board. Here's the link:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...y-new-nos.html

You can also check it out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYofRs_r8w8

You're timing has been advanced, you will definitely need a nitrous tune for your car.

$600 is for the base kit. You'll need a window switch (MANDATORY!!!), NOS comes with one, Zex and NX means you'll purchase it separately. A pressure gauge mounted to the bottle is a good idea, they're cheap. If you want to get fancy, then move it to the pillar. You'll need a good bottle heater. A blowdown pipe is required for the track and a good safety device, don't worry, they are cheap. A fuel pressure safety switch is a good idea, they're $20. (I'm using a 30 psi Edelbrock switch.)

Purge and remote opener are optional. I installed both. You cannot leave the bottle open all the time, which means you'll be headed to the trunk to open the bottle when you use the system (not a big deal if it's for the track only). The purge is cool and adds a little performance, but generally not necessary.

If you think you might want either, than install it now! You won't want to take your entire system apart or re-wire the trunk after you've done it once.

Other tips...

- Turn off the traction control before using the nitrous! Otherwise, the computer will cut power when it senses a little wheel spin.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-08-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy

I almost forgot, fuel pressure is a good one to monitor and nitrous pressure as I mentioned.

I mounted an autometer oil pressure gauge and an external thermometer prior to the nitrous install. I use the temperature gauge to know when I should check the pressure gauge (when it's near 100 degrees, pressure in the bottle might be higher than I'd like) or when to use the bottle heater.

I use an Aeroforce gauge to measure fuel pressure, since there is a sensor already mounted on the rail. It's expensive, but easy to install, just plug and play. A conventional gauge will work fine, you'll just need a tee fitting in order to attach it to the nitrous fuel rail adapter.

Bottle pressure is important to monitor. Too little pressure and you won't get a strong hit from the bottle. Too much and it's not good for the system (happens at very high temperatures). I check my pressure periodically with a gauge mounted at the bottle. Those are about $50. A dedicated nitrous gauge I think is around $200 and obviously harder to install. Personal preference, really.

Bottle pressure does NOT tell you the amount of nitrous in the cylinder. The only way to know how much is left is to weigh the bottle.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-08-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Thanks again, I will read trough everything in the start of next week and after that I will surely be back with more questions.

And I don't think I will have any problems with the law on this one, and I bet no one can prove that I crashed the car when using the n2O.

Ill be back