Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LONG TUBE HEADERS

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

Default LONG TUBE HEADERS

I'm thinking about installing some Kooks long tube headers with the catted H pipe from Brenspeed. Just looking for some reassurance about whether they're worth it or not before I pull the trigger. Anyone have these installed on your car? If so, how much HP did they add and how much louder is your car? Thanks for any input!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

My car is much louder, but I also have an O/R midpipe (no cats). In my opinion, yes they are worth it. The sound and power gains are nice, and I saved money by installing them myself.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by montanajb
I'm thinking about installing some Kooks long tube headers with the catted H pipe from Brenspeed. Just looking for some reassurance about whether they're worth it or not before I pull the trigger. Anyone have these installed on your car? If so, how much HP did they add and how much louder is your car? Thanks for any input!
Hey there Montana ....Yes I did about 6-7 months ago, and I feel that they are one of the better quality set-ups out there and well worth it..!! I went with the Kooks Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with their High Flow Catted H- Pipe and the Borla axle backs. You are definately going to like the louder and deeper sound (not obnoxious), and the noticeable increase in seat of the pants Horse Power . I'm still NA and with the few things that I have done so far I'm at about 310 RWHP and 325 RWTQ (on a Mustang Dyno). There's absolutely no issues with any stuff like 02 sensors, trouble codes, or being too low. They are no doubt one of the better Mods I've made....so pull that Trigger

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 11-14-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 AM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm 95% sure I'm going to order these. And it's great to get a little reassurance that I'm not wasting my money!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
da75

This is the same setup I was looking at. Are there any gotchas to look out for or particularly difficult parts of the Kooks/catted H install ??
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

montanajb are you from montaner?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I ran an o/r H pipe for about a year before putting ARH with o/r h on my car. Honestly it was a lot louder. most of the volume comes from the lack of cats, if you are running a catless setup already, do no expect a huge gain in volume IMO. You will get a deeper tone and it will sound cleaner IMO though.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

The kooks setup is a nice choice. one of the best setups you can put on these cars IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
montanajb are you from montaner?
I am. what part of the state are you from?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by da75
This is the same setup I was looking at. Are there any gotchas to look out for or particularly difficult parts of the Kooks/catted H install ??
The stock manifolds and the Kooks headers slide in and out easily. Tightening down the headers is where the problems occur. The engine must be lifted to get at a few nuts. A 10mm racheting wrench works best. Having a swivel and looong extension (at least 18")makes getting the top starter bolt a breeze. Unbolting the a/c compressor and simply pushing it forward gives you easy access to the front bolts on the passenger side.

Take a refresher course on cussing. You'll want a few new words to vent some frustration for trying this without a lift.

If you only do a cat-back replacement, then you can keep a smile on your face.

Quick Reply: LONG TUBE HEADERS