Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Kenne Bell SC or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

guys thanx for your input...but is there ever enough hp? i know when i first got my car and said 300 hp...omg...im not gonna put no performance parts or anything just gonna keep it stock....then here come the appearance parts to look good, then here come the CAI adding a lil hp and exhaust and now rims and tires next week...and by the time you know it your at 350 hp...now you want headers, x-pipe and so on....now your at 375...add a SC or Turbo....400+ then its like....I WANT MORE!!! so then you upgrade injectors, and finding ways to shave off time here and there...are we ever satisfied with how much HP we're getting?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

I've been struggling with this same problem. My mate has a 2007 Shelby GT with a Novi 1200 on it, he's putting down 445 rwhp with 393 TQ. With his exhaust that car is a monster on the streets, a real head turner with good reason. That power level is what I'm aiming for, and was planning on a 1200. But at the same time he's already got one, AND he's at ~400 tq. With a turbo, I could have the 450 hp that he has, w/ more torque, and not be like most mustangs with SC's, probably owning one of the few turbo'd S197's in my city. For this reason, as well as price, I've narrowed myself down to the HP Stage 1 turbo kit, and the Hellion kit with the T-62 turbonetics turbo. I still have a long way to go as far as making the 5 G's I'll need in all for this kit. I've also decided that I'm going to bite the bullet hard, and do the complete install on my own. Shops around here charge WAY too much for the relative simplicity of the bolt-on turbo design of the HP and hellion systems. I'll have aid from friends, etc.but this turbo will be going in for only the price of parts + shipping along with new control arms, and later in the year after that's done, I'll be looking into lowering the car if I go with HP. (The hellion kit has tubes that go under the K member, lowering it causes problems w/ speed bumps, etc.) This will be enough for me.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Get a Kenne Bell HO or a Whipple HO. Run 10-12 lbs of boost. You will have 450-500 rwhp (which is pushing the stock engine. If your worried about blowing it, tell your tuner to tune conservatively. I had a conservative tune and made 462 on 10 lbs.)

Where do you live? I know turbos are illegal in some states. KB AND WHIPPLE are 50 State legal!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

BTW. Kenne Bell 2.6L HO. 850Rwhp potential!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD05GT
Get a Kenne Bell HO or a Whipple HO. Run 10-12 lbs of boost. You will have 450-500 rwhp (which is pushing the stock engine. If your worried about blowing it, tell your tuner to tune conservatively. I had a conservative tune and made 462 on 10 lbs.)

Where do you live? I know turbos are illegal in some states. KB AND WHIPPLE are 50 State legal!
I live in TX and EVERYTHING goes here in this lone star state...no many dont's but yeah i've been leaning towards the KB TS SC
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD05GT
BTW. Kenne Bell 2.6L HO. 850Rwhp potential!
Just with a pulley change? or other mods needed? look at me...only wanting to gain a lil RESPECT to askin how to get 850+ HP....damn this is addicting
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruffrydertx
I live in TX and EVERYTHING goes here in this lone star state...no many dont's but yeah i've been leaning towards the KB TS SC
Doesn't Texas have emissions laws? Good luck passing those with a turbo...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
Doesn't Texas have emissions laws? Good luck passing those with a turbo...
yeah but they don't ever check
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Texas does OBDII checks. Passing with a turbo won't a be problem if the car is tuned as such.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

texas has emissions laws like people in cali don't have an ounce of weed on them at any given time. Down here, if you're fast american muscle, nobody cares what kinda crap is coming out of your exhaust
But to answer your question about getting 850+rwhp, you need a stronger block and forged internals to start, on top of bigger injectors, hardcore suspension upgrades, and a better tranny, that's all that comes to mind immediately, I'm not as savy once you go past the stock block.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell SC or Turbo?