Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 AM
PWR PNY

Default Questions about boost

Ok i am running a Magnacharger and i am unsure of the boost amount it is either 4.5 or 6 but either way i put down 430 rwhp and 401 torque. I was curious what yall thought about how much boost i should repully too. I have already taken steps to strengthen the bottom end. This is a daily driver and a weekend warrior that needs a boost. So what do yall think, how much power/boost should i shot for.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Correct me if I am wrong but the magnacharger S/C is good for about 400 RWHP. I don't think you can up the boost as the S/C is maxed right now....if it is the old system it adds 125hp/tq. If you have the magnacharger TVS S/C well that bad boy can handle gobs of HP and TQ and I would up the boost to 15-16 psi on a built motor (at least pistons, rods, and crankshaft) and make sure it is dyno tuned. The ability of the TB to take in the air required to up the boost might be limited at 15-16 psi but you can buy a larger TB if necessary (might need some fab work) and make sure your A/F ratio is spot on at WOT and the timing is conservative (hopefully to attain that boost level). How long have you had the forged motor and S/C?....if for a short period of time I would run the car as is for a while before upping the boost to 16 psi. I am running 11 psi and at 17 (maybe 19-cant remember) degrees timing and A/F ratio of 11.2-11.4 at WOT (just as an example) and yielded 465 RWHP and 440 TQ. Your S/C depending on which one you have should be more efficient as every S/C these days is more efficient than mine.

I have plan to forge and up the boost to 16 psi and get the black diamond TB so I can get all the air required for the S/C! let us know and have a great one....welcome to the forum!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
PWR PNY

I have the new style s/c from them. I looked at the old one but like u said i realized they maxed out with the base setting so i went with the brand new model.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i doubt it's 4.5 lbs of boost if you're making 430whp...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nicely done PWR PNY, it sounds like you did
your own homework and picked a great
unit......

let us know how much boost you are running,
after you get a vacuum/boost gauge

Originally Posted by PWR PNY
so i went with the brand new model.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
PWR PNY

Originally Posted by Texotic
i doubt it's 4.5 lbs of boost if you're making 430whp...
That is what i tried to tell the people at magnacharger. I asked them how if they claim 20 rwhp per pound of boost would 430 be the number for 4.5 pounds. They gave me like a fifteen minute answer of how the s/c works and how it is possible to get those numbers with that psi. But it doesnt matter i am going probably to 10 psi, new gears, long tube headers and maybe a few other little mods and i am going to get a dyno tune and see where my numbers are then. Hopefully over 500 rwhp. Would be awesome to get it there.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

TVS R2300 is that the blower?

If so great choice I am really leaning towards this unit, very impressive things it is doing. Every tune I have spoke to about this unit they have only had good things to say and look forward to getting there hands on more of them to tune and see what they can really do.

here is a good read , http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9751
Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PWR PNY
That is what i tried to tell the people at magnacharger. I asked them how if they claim 20 rwhp per pound of boost would 430 be the number for 4.5 pounds. They gave me like a fifteen minute answer of how the s/c works and how it is possible to get those numbers with that psi. But it doesnt matter i am going probably to 10 psi, new gears, long tube headers and maybe a few other little mods and i am going to get a dyno tune and see where my numbers are then. Hopefully over 500 rwhp. Would be awesome to get it there.
you could get some gauges of your own, then you could tell the people at Magnacharger how much boost you're actually getting. but those numbers are pretty good.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I'd say go for at least 12 lbs of boost with a built bottom end. Whats the point of building it if your just going to run numbers that a stock bottom end can almost handle. Don't forget that once you get over 450 rwhp you need at least a Boost A Pump and then over 500 rwhp you'll need better fuel pumps.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
orange04s281
2nd Gear Member

if you have forged internals i would go for 12 to 14 lbs and gt500 fuel pumps

Quick Reply: Questions about boost