Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 03:54 AM
macca
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger questions?

I am just full of questions tonight. Just read a cool interview wih the Vortech guy. I was wondering if there was any reason to do anything else to a stock engine if I was going to drop the Vortech HO system in my GT???

I mean if this sucker puts out 450+horses on a stock engine and I am perfectly happy with that, then what point is there in messing with the intake and exhaust. What I want is the fastest way to get a 50% increase in power (which sounds like thats all the stock motor is good for anyway) and I dont care about exhaust sound improvements. So why spend all that dough on intake and exhaust mods? Sounds like a waste of money IF I am going to get a S/C anyway??? I know I must be missing something here and look forward to a thorough education from this community....thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger questions?

You get intake/exhaust so your car can breathe. More air flow = more power.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:15 AM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

there is no doubt your main improvement in power would come form the power adder. (s/c in this case) Now all the other mods you can do to a car help to increase or deliver more power to the rear wheels. Trust me speed is adictive. You'll want moere power after you do the S/C then you'l be asking around here for what mods to do toget mor Horses out of your pony. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:02 PM
macca
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I know about the inlet/exhaust mods getting more power BUT, do you agree that IF a person only wants 450+HP then these other mods are a waste of money? And if I read right, going over 450+HP(crank) would need strenghtened internels anyway? So my point is this: why not just do ONE mod - a supercharger and nothing else? Seems this saves money, time, hassle of always re-tuning and having it in the shop etc.

I concede your point about the addictive speed thing Shifty, but assuming someone has self control and knows when to stop, wouldnt JUST a S/C and nothing else be a great way to go with these cars? I say this because I dont hear of anything suggesting this route and almost everyone with the GT has similar intake/exhaust specs/future in their signatures. Thought it would be interesting to see if anybody out there had considered just doing the S/C and nothing else. Now these S/C kits do come with a performance tuner and CAI so that is a couple of other things I guess

I just dont want to start off with inlet/exhaust mods and then drop the S/C and then find out that 1) I have so much power that it is almost impossible to accelerate from standstill without slicks and 2) too much power for stock engine. If both of these are true I would need to get more tire($) and better engine ($$)...pretty soon my $40k investment balloons out to $50k and then we are well into diminishing returns. For $50k I can get a S/C Saleen or Rouch or Steeda or an 06 Shelby right?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:20 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: macca

Thanks guys, I know about the inlet/exhaust mods getting more power BUT, do you agree that IF a person only wants 450+HP then these other mods are a waste of money? And if I read right, going over 450+HP(crank) would need strenghtened internels anyway? So my point is this: why not just do ONE mod - a supercharger and nothing else? Seems this saves money, time, hassle of always re-tuning and having it in the shop etc.

I concede your point about the addictive speed thing Shifty, but assuming someone has self control and knows when to stop, wouldnt JUST a S/C and nothing else be a great way to go with these cars? I say this because I dont hear of anything suggesting this route and almost everyone with the GT has similar intake/exhaust specs/future in their signatures. Thought it would be interesting to see if anybody out there had considered just doing the S/C and nothing else. Now these S/C kits do come with a performance tuner and CAI so that is a couple of other things I guess

I just dont want to start off with inlet/exhaust mods and then drop the S/C and then find out that 1) I have so much power that it is almost impossible to accelerate from standstill without slicks and 2) too much power for stock engine. If both of these are true I would need to get more tire($) and better engine ($$)...pretty soon my $40k investment balloons out to $50k and then we are well into diminishing returns. For $50k I can get a S/C Saleen or Rouch or Steeda or an 06 Shelby right?
Simple answer? Because one mod is never enough!!

Seriously, I suppose you could do a SC-only approach... if that is all you want out of it. But, good luck on keeping those stock 235s under you. Personally, the SC-only approach wouldn't do it for me, because I wanted to do some appearance mods, too (ala, the muscle car look). And, assuming I go with the Saleen SC, the CAI ought to work with it.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:23 PM
macca
1st Gear Member

Yeah Don, us guys can get addicted to modding our rides as much as our wives would get addicted to modding their bods if we let em Don't let them fool you that they will stop at a boob job...they won't! By the time their finished they will look nothing like the ride you ordered from the factory...lol. Having said that....who is worse, them or us???
Old 05-29-2005, 06:40 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: macca

who is worse, them or us???
I'll plead the 5th on that one...
Old 05-29-2005, 11:39 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

I think I am going to pop for a Saleen SC this summer. It has been popping into my head since this thread and a few others started. You think that if I can keep my foot off the gas a bit that the mileage wont suffer too much? I have a 70 mile commute each day and the gas is already killing me.

I figure with everything coming in under 5K that it should keep me happy for some time and if I want to do more, than only the wallet is holding me back.