Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New FRPP cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The FRRP cams increased my output 30whp and 20whtq, along with increasing the powerband 5500rpm to 6800rpm and have a GREAT sounding idle.

I can deal with a little hot rod smell for that kind of increase. It's really not that bad with the cats on and tuned correctly. You would have to be within 2-3 feet of the exhaust and sniffing for it to smell it. I'll admit that it smelled really bad with the off-road pipe but then again it smelled really bad with that thing before the cams and I don't plan on ever using that thing again due to the noise. Of everything I've done to the car, the cams were the best mod.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 11-28-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I can deal with a little hot rod smell for that kind of increase.
That's the smell of a muscle car. If anyone doesn't like it, buy a Prius. To those that have been around the old muscle cars from back in the day know this is just part of it and is a good thing.

Plus, Rubrignitz here has reported pretty good MPG. Better than what I get currently! So it's all good.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm consistently hitting 22.5 (according to the dash computer) on the interstate. Not bad... but wish I had a six-speed to make it even better...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

With my bama 91 perf tune and mods listed I get a hand calculated 25.3 mpg. I drive a little over 200 miles every day and use 91 octane. The car runs and idles fine. There is a little smell from the cats but that is from the increased overlap in the cams. Yesterday I loaded the 91 torque program in and found that the throttle response is better but have not had the oppertunity to test the MPG's yet.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I find that the exhaust smell with cats and cams is kinda like the stock setup with off-road pipe but a little milder. The cams with off-road pipe... DAMN! I can't imagine anyone wanting to live with that smell.

The car sounds sooooo much better with cats anyway. Every off-road setup I hear makes me think about how I didn't look forward to starting the car every day. It's PERFECT now. You can drive easily and talk with passengers/not make everyone on the road want to race you.. but when you get on it.. pure audio ecstasy.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

Off raod X and stingers sound so good together even on start up idk what off raod combos youve tried

also how lopey is the idle on hot rod cams i hope it very lopey im about to put mine on
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
07gt4u

ive been reading about these cams, i just wonder if i should fork the money out for comp cams with springs and phasers. i like the idea of not having to worry about springs and cam phasers and having it dyno tune isnt a problem, just gotta make my mind up.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

No, they would be a waste of money with the FRPP cams. With the way these cams were designed, there's no risk of a valve hitting a piston and springs are not needed since the lift is only 1mm higher.

I'm not 100% sure, but there might be a risk of valve-piston contact with a stroker kit or higher compression pistons though.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend the FRPP Cams to anyone. However, make sure you get it custom dyno tuned by someone who knows their stuff. After trying with 2 other tuners, I went to a guy almost 90 minutes away. But he knows his stuff. The car runs great and pulls through the powerband like a freight train
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I agree with RedNytGT ....a good tuner is key!

Quick Reply: New FRPP cams