Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Said Goodbye to My Baby...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

I agree on looks the gt500 but performance and more "bang for your buck", the Terminator
Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the great insight guys. Now I remember why I use to spend sooooo much time in this forum. You all made excellent points. I know I’ll be extremely happy with either one. It sucks that the Terminators were only around for two years. One thing that has been weighing heavily on my mind is that even if I find a well treated Terminator with extremely low miles, the car is going to be at least five years old (considering I wont actually be purchasing it until spring).

Oh well, as someone mentioned, I’ll have that much more money to mod and replace if I get a Terminator. I have a feeling, it’ll boil down to what kind of deal I can find on either one when I’m ready to buy.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by onederful100
true, but that article did restore my faith in the s197 vs the terminator. even the KB website rates the 2.8 L blower 1 hp more for the s197 vs the terminator.
http://www.kennebell.net/
and i dont believe everything i read in a magazine, far from it. i am a big skeptic.
terminator weight 3665
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/2003-2...erminator.html
s197 weight around 3500
each car that represents a class may not be perfect, but it does represent that class.
I'm not jabbing at you onederful.
I'm just saying that with the correct mods on the Terminator, the S197 won't match it.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I'm not jabbing at you onederful.
I'm just saying that with the correct mods on the Terminator, the S197 won't match it.
I have to agree w/ you there. the Terminator is a better car performance wise, and takes very little to make big power and handle that power compared to our s197's.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

if your going for pure street performance, I would do the termi for sure. I know I want one so bad. that thing is a monster, and even though in that magazine article or whatever it made the least amount of power, it will still eat the s-197's lunch all day. The termi has an independent rear suspension far superior to the piece of junk our cars have. It plants power like no other and is a lighter car. I know a friend of mine has a full bolt on '03 terminator and he always takes me by 1 or 2 car lengths, from 60 rolls, 40 rolls. and on digs he just flat out murders me. that thing just hooks.

the gt500 is great too but its more of a collector thing than anything.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The S197 has a near 50/50 f/r weight distribution due to it's aluminum block and chassis design. Both the termi and gt500 have iron blocks which are 150 lbs heavier. An S197 (with a 4V aluminator engine?) will not only ride and handle better but will transfer weight better at the dragstrip.

I'm keeping my S197...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Were you racing him with those wheels/tires in your sig picture? Cobras roll on 17's and most put really huge meats on them. That would give him a huge advantage.

Originally Posted by merdix9
if your going for pure street performance, I would do the termi for sure. I know I want one so bad. that thing is a monster, and even though in that magazine article or whatever it made the least amount of power, it will still eat the s-197's lunch all day. The termi has an independent rear suspension far superior to the piece of junk our cars have. It plants power like no other and is a lighter car. I know a friend of mine has a full bolt on '03 terminator and he always takes me by 1 or 2 car lengths, from 60 rolls, 40 rolls. and on digs he just flat out murders me. that thing just hooks.

the gt500 is great too but its more of a collector thing than anything.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by merdix9
The termi has an independent rear suspension far superior to the piece of junk our cars have.
It's actually the weak point of the Cobra, its IRS...
Although the car wasn't designed for pure drag racing, it's rear axle halves, have a tendency to snap off under hard traction.

And what's wrong with the current 8.8 solid axle? I wouldn't call it junk.
S197s race cars are winning a lot in road course racing in the US and in Europe...
All have solid axles!

The Terminator platform never did much in road racing, despite its IRS.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'd rather have a solid axle any day.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by pascal
You put us in a bad spot man...
Most of us like both cars as well.

I would lean towards the GT500 for investment reasons, not the hp potential.
Mr. Shelby ain't gonna be around forever, so once he's gone, anything with his name on it will be out of reach.
I could be wrong, but that's my take on it...

mmm..last time I checked a car is not an investment. :-/ all cars depreciate and considering the production numbers of a GT500 it's going to take a couple of decades to "gain" value which is an oxymoron if you consider how much you will have "invested" in keeping it insured and maintaining it during that time.

That being said, from a handling point of view, IRS is defintely where it's at for twisties, solid rear is great for drag racing. In the end it's all about what you WANT, not what you think you'll want or "the future of the car" etc.

It's a car, what are you going to be happy driving today and for a while?

Quick Reply: Said Goodbye to My Baby...