Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Default Which way to go?

Alright so i'm starting college next year, woot, and i've saved for quite some time, but i actually just got awarded a full tuition scholarship. meaning i have some money that i dont mind relinquishing for my car...

What i havent decided however, is on what to do..

My current mods are : Flowmaster A/T, Pypes O/R H, JLT & tune, and soon to be 4.10s (this is a 5 speed).

not much...

well what i'm looking for is a muscley car, that has plenty of get up and go, something that can say "big boy on campus" or something like that.. the school's actually in a "Village" as the sign reads, so its pretty small and quite =]. I dont like that and figure why not fix it?

At this point I cant determine which would be more economical (as i wont be working during college) yet still have that "fun" factor for whenever i go up to the strip (we have a 1/4 mile) not much highway driving will be used...

what would you guys reccomend? I know in the immediate future i'll be getting CMCV delete plates and possibly pulleys and wider,stickier tires..

but for the more expensive work, would i be best looking at a Cam,S/C,TS, or Nitrous?

I'd love to get low 12s, if thats possible without some major major work...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
chopin0302
1st Gear Member

Hey that's awesome about the scholarship! The first thing I would say is to look at your budget for what you can spend on the car now, and what you will be able to spend on it consistently for the next few years. Bolt-ons are typically pretty safe and maintenance free, however you start talking about forced induction, etc, and those are the kinds of things for which you need to be prepared to spend money on later for supporting mods, or to replace parts that get worn out too soon from the increase in power (clutch, tires, etc). The second thing I would think about is how are you going to use the car. I LOVE the setup I have on my car. However, driving 50+ miles everyday on the poor roads around where I live gets old real quick when you're putting down gobs of torque ALL the time. I would say those are the first two things you need to think about carefully. Cheers!

JR
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chopin0302
Hey that's awesome about the scholarship! The first thing I would say is to look at your budget for what you can spend on the car now, and what you will be able to spend on it consistently for the next few years. Bolt-ons are typically pretty safe and maintenance free, however you start talking about forced induction, etc, and those are the kinds of things for which you need to be prepared to spend money on later for supporting mods, or to replace parts that get worn out too soon from the increase in power (clutch, tires, etc). The second thing I would think about is how are you going to use the car. I LOVE the setup I have on my car. However, driving 50+ miles everyday on the poor roads around where I live gets old real quick when you're putting down gobs of torque ALL the time. I would say those are the first two things you need to think about carefully. Cheers!

JR
right, i heard sc and ts like really gulp oil... and rreally wear on stock internals...

would a cam be the way to go then? just a mild one
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

I believe a decent cam can help with a SC setup, with a turbo you need to get a good running combo for them to not work against each other (so I've read about turbo cams)
As for internals, good until you're around 450rwhp Can't say I know much about how much lifespan is taken off when you're just running below that, all I know is past that things start to get a little risky
I don't know too much about cams on their own, but I don't think they're good for more than 25-30 hp unless you're running some aggressive cams on a turbo'd or SC engine.
And the good ole' laughing gas is a good cheap system when you throw a low shot in, if you want a bigger shot you'll be looking at building up the engine. I think on stock you need to stay around 100-125, from the people I've talked to.
Really just depends on your plans for running the car. I'm going for a turbo setup to push around 450rwhp, see the track a couple times a year, in the off time probably the same situation as you, car for a college student. MIne's not the cheapest solution. But I love the technical aspects of the turbo, and how it feels on a V8.
The charger will give you quicker boost and power
The turbo will give you a higher top end
For more, just look through the many S/C vs. Turbo threads.
I'd look for more info on Cams if you're seriously considering them, I can't offer much help there, sorry : /

Last edited by vashthe3rd; 11-30-2008 at 07:34 AM.