Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bama 87 Performance - way less power

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default Bama 87 Performance - way less power

(reposting in the right forum)

Just put in my C&L Street CAI (without the optional insert to restrict air flow and run tune-less) and put in my shiny new Bamachips 87 Performance tune.

The car doesn't pull anything like it used to. This can't be right. Its got a little zip in really high rpm (but probably not more than stock), but feels slower in lower and mid rpm range. Doesn't feel like a muscle car at all. I guess that means loss of torque.

What's up with that?

I'll call Doug tomorrow. Wonder if anybody else has seen this. Oh & I'm a '08 5 speed, BTW.

Other observations....

Two thumbs up on the throatier sound. Not as dramatic as say getting out of stock mufflers, but its a nice sound upgrade. I can hear the CAI slurp when I stomp on the gas and a split second later the slurp is overtaken by engine & exhaust noise.

Next time I load a tune, I will take SCT's advice in pulling out some fuses. Didn't do that this time. Nothing broke. But I got nervous on the turn-the-key-off step and hear what sounded like all kinds of electrical surging under the hood.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Try the 91/93 Race. It's awesome. I run the 91 race all the time. The past two weeks until yesterday I used my 93 torque. I had shifting problems with my race tune for some reason but doug fixed that and now I'm back to the race tune.

I've never tried the 87 perf.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
JustCallMeSlip

I have the "Racer Kit" w/a Bama 91 Race Tune. Now I know this goes outside the "Mustang" forum, but a co-worker has a Chrysler 300C w/ the Hemi and I talked him into the C&L CAI w/ the Bama tune and he said the same thing. When he bought the C&L from Doug he got the (3) tune package. As soon as he went to the 91 tune he was much happier. I am far from an expert on tunes and octane grades, but from what I have read octane grades at different elevations will have different effects. Call Doug and let him know your issue. He will go above and beyond to help you out.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Don't pull any fuses. The noises are normal. Just follow the prompts and you'll be just fine.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 PM
JustCallMeSlip

The electrical surging under the hood! I hear you. I have a Preadator Sport Tuner and I always wondered what the hell that was about. Send me some more info on that will you?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Yeah I know the 91 and 93 tunes are better. But what I'm saying is the 87 Performance SUCKS compared to bone stock with no CAI. That ain't right is it?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I just figured those noises after the tune is loaded is just things re-initializing and/or doing a self test of some sort. It's like the computer is rebooting itself and doings tests. Kind of like when you turn on your PC how all the drives and stuff is searched for and initialized.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i am running brenspeed tunes. and my 87 tunes sucks, i use it tho in the winter months. my 91 tune is awesome, pulls very nice. that's what i mainly use with 93 fuel.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM
JustCallMeSlip

I personally wouldn't run 87 in my car. Tune or no tune.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I always use my 93 tune from Breenspeed. I also have an 87 and a 91 but last time I wanted to try one of those tunes fuse 8 blew and I was stuck at the gas station w/o any fuses....so I had to run to advanced auto parts, buy some fuses and then go back to the gas station to switch out the burnt fuses. Needless to say the whole experience sucked. Since that happened I always carry extra fuses in the car

Quick Reply: Bama 87 Performance - way less power