Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Your take on Automatic twin tubo GT's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by gtnraged
Mind giving a couple brands to search for TT's? Mid price range
Exile TT http://www.exileturbo.com/products/i...p?idProduct=51 PM TOMBSTANG https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...tombstang.html for details
Welcome to the forum....after the TT you will need a reinforced tranny at least new rear end (detroit tru-trac or eaton posi), one piece DS, sticky tires and a whole new rear suspension components at least and thats if you go in a straight line.....
Oh one last thing ....brakes (at least SS lines, new pads, and upgraded brake fluid)

Last edited by mygt500; 12-12-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 AM
gtnraged

Yeah I am just worried about the horror stories and blowing my engine ;[ Is everything you listed what would be needed? I am just trying to get a feel of how much I am going to need to spend so I can plan when I ill be able to do this ;D

Ty mygt500!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

The only thing I dont like about turbohorsepower.com kit is that the tubing is not stainless steel. If your car is your dd that mild steel will not last even coated. I had a hard reality check on my last car with coated steel headers and will now always get ss. A tt kit will be the best fi setup imo. The fact that you dont eat any hp from a belt or get belt slip is a plus. Most twin screw sc are going to max out at about 600rwhp were the tt will have almost unlimited potential for the long run. I think if your goal is below 10.5 et's all while being completely streetable then the tt would be my choice. If you want a affordable extremly reliable and fun street set up than I would go twin screw sc. Just remember that the turbo setup is going to cost 1.5 - 2 times more than a sc setup,but you get what you pay for in the long run.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM
gtnraged

It is in fact my daily driver and my main concern is reliability obviously. I haven't heard of a twin screw sc before this thread, just a sc. Thank you guys for all the info!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

personally i think twin screw is the most reliable for the streets. my turbo doesnt get really fun until i hit the freeway. i have the sts twin turbo kit so there is lag too. my friend has whipple ts and my other friend has the roush. i love my car, but if i could do it over again id get the whipple ts
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Couple guys I know with twin screws love them, street cars, have been running fine since they got them, they're definitely cheaper than a TT, but they're also superchargers
A TT automatic has a astronomical top end if you build up the motor and up the boost, you can see some scary stuff come out of that
EDIT:
For your educational purposes (since you say you've never heard of TS chargers before)
Superchargers:
Roots
Twin Screw
Centrifugal

A twinscrew will give you your instant low end ripping torque, to powerful top end, very good, but very common on V-8's
Centrifugals behave more like turbos in the sense that a single compressing turbine is used to compress air, it's still run off the engine. You'll experience minor elements of "turbo lag" with this
Roots = Lame :P
and ofcourse Turbo:
Twin(2 smaller ones)
Single(1 relatively larger one)
Turbos use exhaust gases from the headers to turn a compressor turbine. Turbo lag is a term derived from the time between you accelerating, and your turbo reaching full boost (measured in PSI), the time is usually measured in differences of RPM between 0 and X,XXX <where you reach full boost.
Turbos are different in the sense that they turn exhaust(waste) into horsepower and torque
Further information I'll leave to you to research, just wanted to cover any bases you might've missed

Street and reliability go to a twin-screw hands down, easier to install, much less piping for air to travel through, much less areas for problems to occur. You get instant power throughout the gear.

For street purposes, a single turbo system isn't that bad persay, turbos are just alot more technical, require monitoring to be sure each component is working correctly. These are definitely unique, around here anyway, I haven't seen any turbo charged S197's at get togethers I've been to. I might have missed them, but they're not common. Definitely a head turner to hear that signature turbo sound.

Hope this helps, look around and educate yourself so you know exactly what kind of performance/reliability you want and what mod will give you that. and Welcome!

Last edited by vashthe3rd; 12-16-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

nuff said.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 AM
gtnraged

Thanks for breaking it all down Vash, I def. have some more research to do but I think I will get the TS and save my 'lust for turbo' when I go for a Porsche turbo ;p

Also, sick pic paydirt~
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I am a big fan of turbo's but you live in CA and will need something with a carb number. I think the best for you would be the Whipple kit as it is carb certified. The Saleen kit is also good but I think the Whipple is better.

Earl
Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Ah I didn't even look at the cali thing, yea emissions are gonna give you a ringer.
That pic is the Turbo Horsepower Twin kit, beautiful, I believe it was at SEMA, I'm going with their single kit. But whipple will definitely get you the power you want.