Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

It takes over 120hp to spin a twin screw?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default It takes over 120hp to spin a twin screw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ynou...&feature=email

Read the posts in this video by 0-60 in 16 seconds. I'm going to have to stop going to youtube. It makes me want to hurt people.

What Mercedes compressor is he going on about? I didn't feel like googling it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I googled Mercedes Kompressor and got some 1.8L supercharged 4 cylinder that makes 189hp? So with a turbo it should make 309 with all things being equal? I'll take two of those turbo charged 1.8L's. What was Mercedes thinking?

I really am starting to hate the internet and internet forums. I think i'm going to take some time off.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry moose but your request for leave is
denied.

maybe after all of my mods are done, then you can
take some time off

Originally Posted by moosestang

I really am starting to hate the internet and internet forums.
I think i'm going to take some time off.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I asked him about the mercedes kompressor he was claiming takes 120hp to spin and is the most efficient supercharger available today, here is his reply.

what i drive has nothing to do with it (tho i have a couple cars, i have an evo rs9 making 450awhp and running mid 11's, a 1997 grand prix gtp converted from supercharged to turboed using the stock supercharger housing as an intake plenium it's running 12psi and making 330whp and 410ft-lbs on a mostly stock engine,and i have an s2000 witch is built up all motor making 248whp from 2.0l, and my car i call the "fast 1500" is a 1991 civic hatch wit ha 1.5l (or 1500cc engien) that i made myself a $1500 budget to build it up hoping for low 13's street drivable without gutting the interior on, the car started out stock and when i was done it had a holset hx35 turbo,ebay innercooler,42.55lbs ford injectors,p28 chipped ecu that i had custom dyno tuned and i ran out of money on that stuff,a clutch,and a d16z6 vtec "mini me" head swap and at 12psi on that big turbo it made 270whp i can turn the boost up to arround 35-40psi on that turbo but it's tuned at 12psi on 93 octane, on stock tires it ran 16.9 stock same tires after the turbo install it ran 13.4 first run after a set of $50 craigslist 6x14 slicks it was running consistent 12.7's)

now i know you are an ignorant redneck ******* "american cars are the best, derp de derp"

but listen to this and read slowly
the reason there are more supercharged than turboed and because the mustang has a reputation for being a yuppie car, meaning rich people buy them and drive them thinking it makes them cool and then they want it to make more power disguise the fact that you have a 3inch dick but instead of fabricating and building the car up themselves they take it to someone and have them put it on witch allot of the time is at the ford dealership they bought it from (witch conveniently sells a supercharger kit) and they say "well we sell supercharger kits and we'll even install it because you won't, but it'll be $5500 total" well people do it
but if you actually like and work on cars it's not only more efficient but cheaper to build a turbo setup for any car but the thing about turbo's is they require some fabrication such as charge piping and exhaust manifolds superchargers do not they just bolt in place of the intake plenium and throw a belt on
turbo's are also harder to tune but the more patient you are the more you are rewarded with tuning turbo's not so with superchargers

i know your not going to change your mind (and neither am i) but don't be ignorant because you think your right if you feel you need to plead your case but don't feed me bull**** like (well more people have superchargers than turbo's)

well more toyota sells more prius's than ferrari sells f430's but does that mean the prius is a better car???? (**** no i hate toyota prius's tho toyota makes a good car the prius is not a bad car just the people that buy them)
So basically he just insulted me and said nothing about his horsepower claims to turn the Mercedes thingy.

I'm just going to imagine that he dies in some fiery crash while racing a mustang.

I had no idea the mustang was a yuppie car, redneck car i've heard before.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I will agree that you can "fab" your own turbo cheaper than the cost of a whipple or KB. But you have to know what you are doing. I have never really thought of it as a yuppie car either.

To get back to the original topic though....i think i have heard something similar to the 120 HP thing. Once it is going though that number decreases to some considerably less number. I might try and dig it up somewhere.

He does and is an *** i will agree though

EDIT
Ok from wikipedia

Positive displacement superchargers may absorb as much as a third of the total crankshaft power of the engine, and in many applications are less efficient than turbochargers. In applications where engine response and power is more important than any other consideration, such as top-fuel dragsters and vehicles used in tractor pulling competitions, positive displacement superchargers are extremely common. Superchargers are generally the reason why tuned engines have a distinct high-pitched whine upon acceleration.
I think this is what he is getting at. A s/c actually creates alot more power over a turbo but the s/c also eats up more power. The point about the Kompressor is that it is the most efficient and probably has the best ratio amongst s/c when looking at it like this.

Last edited by howarmat; 12-11-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I can't argue with Wikipidea. If you have a whipple ho kit making 455rwhp, that would be 520 crank horsepower on a manual, using 12.5% power loss through the drivetrain. Now let's assume that's only 2/3rds of the total horsepower being produced since the blower might be using 1/3. That would put you at 780hp. The problem with wikipidea is it doesn't say what PD blower they are talking about, surely it's not the ones used on our cars, probably some giant blower used on a top fueler. Whipples says 20hp to make 10psi and until someone disproves that, that's what i'll roll with. I think the most rwhp i've seen from the whipple with 3.375 pulley is 498, so I should be using that number for my example I guess.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-11-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

so because i drive a mustang im a yuppie or rich guy. awesome, i must have a bank account somewhere that i dont know about with millions. yay.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I have nothing to back this up other than logic, and I am too lazy to look stuff up.

I would agree that spinning the blower will cost HP due to friction but a flat number of 120hp does not sound right. To me it would really depend on how fast you spin it. The faster you spin it the more it would cost in HP.

Using this guys logic my car which makes 484rwhp, which with a 15% drivetraing loss is 556fwhp, is really making 676fwhp at 10psi. Umm I dont think so, because I know if I pulled off the S/C and put on a turbo and ran 10psi, I would think I would see maybe.....maybe 40 more hp.

Basically this guy is just a jerk and does not know squat. Yuppie car? only car I know with that rep is a BMW.

Moose just forget that guy, idiots are everywhere just try and not step in the bull ****.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

wow, this is funny. pd blowers use more power to make power, turbos are linear because thier exuast driven, and i have to go sell my stang now because i dont want people to think im rich, or heavens forbid, a redneck lol
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

Well considering he only gave you insults and no verifiable facts I now feel dumber for having read his response. I award him no points and may God have mercy on his soul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It takes over 120hp to spin a twin screw?