MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Two questions. both of which everyone probally knows but me... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/503863-two-questions-both-of-which-everyone-probally-knows-but-me.html)

Shadow7874 12-13-2008 12:50 AM

Two questions. both of which everyone probally knows but me...

both of which im sure i could find but i might as well ask, you guys know LOTS more then i do yet :)
So... is the xcharger only available for the v6? i was watching a few vids on youtube but all were on v6ers.
Also do the gts (manual) have a rev limiter? the reason im asking is ive noticed sometimes i get awfully close to that pretty red line but im to scared to really push it without knowing really what im doing. Ive only been driving it for a month or too so im not that great with the clutch yet. Also if there isnt a limiter how do people do those long consistent burn outs/drifting without over revving the engine?

cegha 12-13-2008 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow7874 (Post 5744508)
both of which im sure i could find but i might as well ask, you guys know LOTS more then i do yet :)
So... is the xcharger only available for the v6? i was watching a few vids on youtube but all were on v6ers.
Also do the gts (manual) have a rev limiter? the reason im asking is ive noticed sometimes i get awfully close to that pretty red line but im to scared to really push it without knowing really what im doing. Ive only been driving it for a month or too so im not that great with the clutch yet. Also if there isnt a limiter how do people do those long consistent burn outs/drifting without over revving the engine?

Yes the GT's have limiters on them. If you have a tuner they can be changed or removed all together. For better or worse.

It can be shut off all together and if you mash it you blow the engine, or it can be limited to say 3K RPM so the mechanic doesn't drift in your car.

A lot of dumb people just sit in first and hit the rev limiter, but that is not what your suppose to do.

Nuke 12-13-2008 07:37 AM

Don't know about the xcharger...

The GT's have rev limiters no matter what tranny. Factory default is 6250 RPM for the GT but most tuners (Bresnpseed, bana, etc) will reset it higher, typically 6800 for Brenspeed. I reset mine down to 6500 RPM and have still hit it on occasion. It's incredible how the GT engines continue to pull beyond 6000.

There are also speed limiters on the GT's which I don't recall what the factory default is but I think it's about 150ish. The tuner typically sets this above 200 MPH (essentially turns it off; we'll never get there).

sailing220 12-13-2008 09:36 AM

The factory speed limiter is 149, I believe. I don't know what the factory tire's speed rating is, I think it is 149. Could be wrong.

157dB 12-13-2008 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sailing220 (Post 5744921)
The factory speed limiter is 149, I believe. I don't know what the factory tire's speed rating is, I think it is 149. Could be wrong.

I do know that the stock suspension is not good for 149MPH.
The OEM speedo goes to 140MPH but the limiter is set at 149MPH?

slowstang06 12-13-2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 157db (Post 5745155)
I do know that the stock suspension is not good for 149MPH.
The OEM speedo goes to 140MPH but the limiter is set at 149MPH?

the speedo goes to 145.

and from what i 've heard the suspension is alright for 149, but not consistantly. upgrades only help =]

and as for the rev limiter and drifting, you're not suppose to keep hitting it in first, but the rev limiter's purpose it to prevent you from over revving, so it wont hurt you per se (unless its removed) but you still can risk spinning a bearing

mygt500 12-13-2008 08:26 PM

A rev limiter can be set with a tuner and stock is 6250 rpms. I have mine set at 6800 rpms.

The x-charger is only for the v6 crowd !

Shadow7874 12-13-2008 11:59 PM

So how would i go about doing a long burn out without pinging of my limiter? would i just need to try and hold the rpm at like 5K or something? Also for a manual. whats the best method of launching? it seems revving to around 2k and then letting out the clutch and flooring it works fairly well, but i try not to practice often :)

HoorayBeer 12-14-2008 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow7874 (Post 5746846)
So how would i go about doing a long burn out without pinging of my limiter? would i just need to try and hold the rpm at like 5K or something? :)

tap the brakes.

wicked stang 12-14-2008 12:56 AM

just feather the throttle and brakes to keep the burnout going.
my car launches really good if i "kinda almost" dump the clutch at about 2000-2250, depends on the road.