Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Troubleshooting Tires? Camber? Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
07CS

Default Troubleshooting Tires? Camber? Wheel Bearing?

Ok so this is it. I have a 07 GT/CS. I have a brenspeed tune and a frpp springs. I didnt feel that taking the car to get aligned was necessary because the wheel was straight and I liked the little bit of negative camber I got. So I put on a set of winter tires and I am getting this obnoxious noise when I drive. The tires are off of my buddy's mustang and then never made the kind of noise like this. So I am wondering if this noise is the tires, the off-alignment, or worst case scenario, the wheel bearings. So I am looking for some advice from anyone on what they think might be going on and most importantly, if it something to worry about. Thanks dudes!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 AM
xfactor95
1st Gear Member

What kind of noise is it? If it is growling then it probably the bearing.

Are the tires the right size? Or do they already have some badwear on them?
Or it just might be that because they are snow tires that they are louder naturally.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
07CS

it does make a howling but it was immediate after I put the new tires on. The tires were on another mustang that it made no noise on. Before I took my summer tires off, I had just a little sound because my tires were shot. Anyway I can tell if the bearings are bad?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There is more to camber and caster for alignement. The naked eye cannot tell if your tires are aligned correctly. Spend them oney to get the car aligned. You can have them keep some negative camber if you want. About negative 1.0-1.5 degrees in the front tires is somewhat agressive and will provide great street manners, longevity of tires and an aggressive look.

Because you didn't get your alignement done it is possible you are putting undue stress on other componets. An alignment is a must.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM
07CS

I have been told that an alignment isn't necessary because it was such a small drop. Has anyone had a bearing go bad? Are they hard to do? I am really counting on the tires being bad the only thing that is keeping me from thinking they were bad is that they were on the rears of an 02 gt that didnt make any noise. These tires are Bridgestone Potenza's have a stiff sidewall and I am thinking that the little negative camber I have is rubbing harder on the sidewall than when they were on the rears of my friends 02 GT? The noise was silent or very quiet compared to these new tires. Is this a logical thinking or I am in a real mess? PLease advise
Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
xfactor95
1st Gear Member

easy way to see if the bearing is bad is to drive the car and turn slighty left. does to noise get worse, go away or stay the same. them try turning right. if it gets worse when you go one way and then goes away when you turn the other way then it defanitly is a wheel bearing.

i think that our cars have bolt on hub assemblys with the bearing so they are a little more expensive to purchase but are very easy to install.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

What you're experiencing is a problem with the Toe settings. The biggest misconception is if a car drives straight it's properly aligned, not true. Anyway you're not seeing negative camber you're see Toe set out. When I installed the FRPP handling pack My camber was in spec but the toe needed to be pulled in so before you panic and spend time and money for nothing get a wheel alignment!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Since these tires came off a different car with almost certainly different alignment settings, it may be as simple as the difference between the alignment on friend's car vs yours. And the wear pattern that was started on your friend's car is probably different from what your car would have put on the same tires starting from brand-new.

You probably do have a little more static negative camber than the average stock '07 GT comes with, and any changes in camber forces a slight change in toe as well. An alignment check would uncover this (FWIW, if you have a decently flat place to work on, you can make alignment measurements that are more than adequately good using surprisingly cheap "equipment").

You're almost certainly riding a little more onto the inside shoulders of those tires than your friend was. Usually that's where there is a fairly heavy tread block pattern, and snow tires are noisy to begin with.

Norm
Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Do your own alignment with relatively cheap equipment??? Are you F*n kidding me? You can't measeure to the 0.1 of a degree using anything other then an alignment machine...stop being a cheap bastard and shell out the $59.99 - $79.99 depending on where you live for a proper wheel alignment.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Id be willing to bed the tires you put on there already had some "heel - toe" wear, or "cupping"
If you run your hand, palm down, around the tire, usually you can feel it. Something like edges lifting. One way may feel smooth, vs the other, rough. Or just bumpy in general.

I tried looking for a decent pic on the web, but failed.
I will use one I had of my old tires.
The tire on the left, on the far left of the tire, you can see lighter and darker shades. Those are actually high/low spots on the tread. Cupping, or chopping if you will. And you will hear this when driving.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Tires? Camber? Wheel Bearing?