Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need some suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Mac Disaster

Default Need some suggestions.

Hey,

I have been doing some shopping for aftermarket parts for my 2005 GT and i wanted to join the forum here to see what your opinions are on the choices i have been thinking about. Who better to ask than Mustang owners right?

Anyway, As of now i have a K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster exhaust (The super 44's in the 05 Mustang Kit) as well as BBK long tube headers and the matching X-pipe with cats, good ole Ontario emission standards that mean nothing.

So i have been thinking a while about getting a throttle body and tuner and i have so far been leaning towards the BBK 62mm throttle body and the SCT Livewire Tuner. I have read on American Muscle that the K&N intake will not fit on the BBK throttle body, though the tech at American Muscle said i may be able to heat the rubber with hot water to stretch it and make it fit.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? ideas?

Thanks. Geoff.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:39 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! The consensus is that throttle bodies do not gain hp on our cars and most of the time just cause problems. If you want to get a tuner, look to www.brenspeed.com Bamachips, both of which are site sponsors. Since you already have long tubes, your best bet might just be to get a dyno tune with the money you would have spent on the tuner and throttle body and that will probably maximize your hp gains.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Definitely go with the tuner as you'll see some great improvements as well. As mentioned above, I would pass on the TB and maybe look at gears instead. Some of us are running 450+rwhp on the stock throttle body so I think your money would be better spent in other areas.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Mac Disaster

So at this point what you guys are saying is that the stock throttle body is not going to be restricting with the few aftermarkets i have put on? The 10-15hp increase all the sites say about the TB's don't seem to be panning out on the 4.6L's?

And the third option i was thinking about was the 3.73 for the rear-end. What are your thoughts on it as compared to the stock 3.55? I realize it's approx. $200 plus install, and if i get 3.73s, do you guys suggest the Ford Racing ones, or another brand?

I'm Just trying to do things right when i am adding things in. I don't want the car to be a mess of mods.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mac Disaster; 12-24-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: 3.73s...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Delete with a bad attitude!

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Mac Disaster

Originally Posted by BruceH
I went from 3.55 to 4.10. It's one of the best mods you can do. Gas milage didn't suffer. City mileage went up. Bought FRPP gears from www.latemodelrestoration.com for $150.
Yeah, I'm up in the air about the 4.10s though. I do a lot of country driving as opposed to the city driving. So driving 95 km/h (approx 60 mph) most of the time i don't know if the 4.10 would be as economical as the 3.73? Basically i am pushing 2000 rpm in 5th most of the time i am driving so it scares me what rpms i will be pushing if i throw in the 4.10.

This is all my thoughts though, and not based on any fact what so ever.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mac Disaster
So at this point what you guys are saying is that the stock throttle body is not going to be restricting with the few aftermarkets i have put on? The 10-15hp increase all the sites say about the TB's don't seem to be panning out on the 4.6L's?

And the third option i was thinking about was the 3.73 for the rear-end. What are your thoughts on it as compared to the stock 3.55? I realize it's approx. $200 plus install, and if i get 3.73s, do you guys suggest the Ford Racing ones, or another brand?

I'm Just trying to do things right when i am adding things in. I don't want the car to be a mess of mods.

Thanks.
Yes, that would be my take on the TB. I'm still running the stock one but most of what I've heard they were more trouble than what they were worth.

I'm assuming you are a manual so you may want to look into 4:10's instead of the 3.73's. I don't think you'd see a big difference from 3.55 to 3.73's actually. Also, keep in mind you will want the tuner so that you can recalibrate your speedo due to the gear change.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mac Disaster

Thanks.
Stay away from the throttle body, like someone said before they cause more problems than anything. Also, since you already have 3.55's, I'd get 4.10's. One other thing I would do is get a tuner or because of the long tubes, get it dyno tuned.

Edit: Don't fear the gear. Assuming you have a manual with stock rubber, 4.10s will put you at 58mph at 2000 rpms, and 87 at 3000 rpms.

Last edited by rdsx18; 12-24-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Mac Disaster

Okay,

Well guys who are running 4.10 in the rear end and has the manual transmission. Do you have any approximate idea of what your rpm's are around the 60 mph mark? My one worry is i spend 150 plus install and all the 4.6 does now is eat fuel.

It would be kind of like me buying the BBK headers and the matching X-pipe with cats to only find out the computer throws a trouble code because the cats are too small, and coming up on my E-test next year, i look back on the purchase and think it was stupid to buy it with cats at all since i'll fail my E-test with any trouble codes showing.

If your thinking about getting the long-tubes in Ontario, you guys might want to think twice, my only hope is when i get the chip i can clear the DTC code long enough for it not to show up during the test. Honestly, what a joke Ontario Emissions Testing is. My dad has a Deisel Jetta, he has to pay $200 every two years for them to tell him they can't test a Diesel vehicle. Wow.

EDIT: Thanks RDSX18, seems like there won't be a big differance then. Besides it doesn't go to the track, and if you get caught 50 over, your car is impounded, so i don't think the 3000 rpm limit is feasible for me haha. Great Times.

Last edited by Mac Disaster; 12-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Read the edit in my post, you will be just over 2000rpms, assuming your tires are stock. I attached the file I used to calculate that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Mustang_Calculations.zip (20.6 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply: Need some suggestions.