Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

that beautiful gargle

Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
JHarrison92

Default that beautiful gargle

i'm kinda new to mods but as i see it, there are 4 parts involved in the beastly gargle of a 05+ stang. 1. camshaft (thumpr), 2. long tube headers, 3. x pipe, 4. muffler. now all that is expensive. what would be the best combo? cam+long tubes? or cam+ muffler? i just dont know. any ideas?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Cams are going to give you a lopey idle. If you just want to make the factory "gargle" louder then exhaust is where your budget should be spent, however keep in mind that for the money or "gargle" you're not going to get an immense amount of power for the money.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 PM
CaliforniaSpecial631
1st Gear Member

all of what Vista said is very true. if sound is all your really looking for then an axle-back or axle-back/h/x-pipe combo is what your lookin for. if your really looking for more gargle then a muffler delete might be the best bet.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

First try some Borla/FRPP stingers....see how you like that. Then go with o/r h pipe and possibly LTs or just the new h pipe

That should get a great sound and all for less than 600.

Cams are 600-700 alone, plus 500-1000 install, plus 600 for CAI/Tuning for the cams
Old 12-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Exactly what you do with the exhaust system will affect the "character" of the sound. An "H" pipe tends to give more of the low-pitch rumble. An "X" pipe suppresses a lot of the heaviest bass rumble and gives you a "smoother" but higher-pitched note instead. Just to get you started down the road you want to take, which kind of sound do you want?

I think traditionally, it was the combination of high compression and cam timing that added a harder "edge" to the sound. Not sure if that sort of cam timing will let you pass a late-model smog check in very many places any more.

Norm
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
JHarrison92

i love the sound of thumpr cams. if i get that then what is my next step. LT headers? basically whats the best combo including cams?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Well if you are really serious about getting cammed you will need it tuned as well so you might as well just invest in a CAI/tune package and have the write in the cam while they are at it.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

I come from the school of Harley's and old cars. Changing exhaust back pressure changed the scavenging of the unburned fuel, resulting in a horsepower loss. So, changing to a free-flow exhaust meant changing to a longer duration cam.

I haven't done any performance work on post-points/condenser cars, so I don't know if the black boxes compensate somehow. The ignition module on a Harley doesn't, though. The guys running around with straight pipes and no changes to cams are losing horses. Of course, most of the HD riders I tell this to say, "I don't care, I just want it loud."
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

to answer your question directly, you said you want cams and one other part to equal the most sound.

Answer IMHO would be a cam + off road x/h

Though know going into that that you will need a tune when you do that, so I would do a three way combo. (4 if you count the tune)
Cold air intake, Cam, off road X - Get it tuned. Will be loud and powerful, and when you add shorties and mufflers later on, it shouldnt affect you so much that you NEED a tune (though it wouldnt be a bad idea if you had the cash.)
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

An X-pipe will help your car have that nice purr down when decelerating and shifting. My Bassani X-pipe does very nicely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: that beautiful gargle