Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Performance Newby- Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
gtimms

Default Mustang Performance Newby- Need Advice.

OK I'm a lifetime Mopar Guy, The wife has an 06 Mustang GT and I've done some work to it, limited to a Pypes Cat back system and a K&N drop in. What should be the next step with the car? Just looking for bolt ons right now, Throttle body, MAI,? I know with other brands some mods work better then others, figured youd be the guys to ask. Oh yeah, I really like this car, (Don;t tell my dodge buddies)!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I'm about to drop a steeper set of gears (4.10's) into my car to wake it up off the line a bit.

Gears sort of transcend the "bolt-on" category, but they would be a dramatic improvement.

Try some underdrive pulleys. Steeda makes good ones so I've heard.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

well you could just get a CAI and tune instead of the drop in, since that doesnt do anything lol =]. its a little more pricey but its well worth it, especially since you'll get a handheld tuner which will be required for later mods. look @ Brenspeed
Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slowstang06
well you could just get a CAI and tune instead of the drop in, since that doesnt do anything lol =]. its a little more pricey but its well worth it, especially since you'll get a handheld tuner which will be required for later mods. look @ Brenspeed
+1. Brenspeed ftw. I went with the Stedda CAI/Tune. You will not be disappointed.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by gtimms
OK I'm a lifetime Mopar Guy, The wife has an 06 Mustang GT and I've done some work to it, limited to a Pypes Cat back system and a K&N drop in. What should be the next step with the car? Just looking for bolt ons right now, Throttle body, MAI,? I know with other brands some mods work better then others, figured youd be the guys to ask. Oh yeah, I really like this car, (Don;t tell my dodge buddies)!
Intake and tune 600.00, 4.10's gears installed and bought 600.00, alum. driveshaft 500.00 to 700.00, electric water-pump 350.00. All of these can be used if you decide in the future to get a blower. A little research on the Intake that will match up to what blower. Udp's can't be used with a blower and the electric water pump can. Headers in my opinion are a waste as far as bang for the buck, get yourself some cams instead. Some lca's and brackets are a nice traction edition.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtimms
Is the Mustang going to be staying your wife's car or are you going to be driving it more, taking it over. I know w/ my fiance and past cars I"ve had, it I mess w/ them too much and take out too much stock driveability, she wants to have nothing to do w/ them. That might work for you as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with CAI and tuner then go with headers then you should be sitting good for a few weeks atleast. I'd go with brenspeed's steeda CAI package since it can go nicely with the saleen blower if you go that route.

I'd stay away from cams right now unless you want something that can go one of two ways, either you lose power and gain a good loopy sound or gain a few horsepower I haven't heard of anyone gaining a ton of power except for the Blow-by-racing cams that requires you to upgrade valve springs and not a good bang for your buck job IMO. (not to mention you will need to get custom tuned and then you have to research tuners since not everyone can tune them, sure mail order might work and it may not)

I did enjoy when I upgraded my UCA to a BMR adjustable and changed the lower control arms to BMR also, traction improved a great deal.

Hope that helps a little
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

gtimms, welcome! I'm a PentaStar guy myself! ( If I only knew back in '06 the new Challenger was coming...)

2 Barracudas, a Challenger, and a Durango are in my past!

Anyway, like the others said, a CAI and a tune for now. That will give the most bang for the buck, and a seat of the pants difference.

Others may differ, but everything else outside of supercharging, gives you small gains, and you'll spend alot of money. If you want to spend alot of money at once, make it worth it and get supercharging. If not, I'd stick with the CAI/tune. Forget the TB also. Also, like East87 said, rear gears would be worth it, too. 4.10's for a stick, 3.73 for auto as a guideline, you might want to go 4.30 stick, 4.10 auto)

Last edited by JimsGT; 01-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.