Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.1 gear question

Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 AM
05blackstang

Default 4.1 gear question

ok say you have a stock 05 gt manual. it does 0-60 in 5 flat (for arguements sake), if i put a set of 4.1 gears on it, how much faster would it accelerate? i have also heard you lose driveability and top end speed. at what speed do you notice the gear hurting the performance, and how do the gears affect the car as a daily driver?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.1 gear question

not sure how much time would be shaved off of
the 0-60. as for daily driving, i would say if you
do very little hwy cruising, then you'll be fine.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

As far a top end is concerned, theoretically, yes, because at 6000 rpm in 5th with 4.10s your wheels won't be spinning as fast as they would be with the stock gears. However, our cars' top speed is power limited, and the multiplied torque you get from the 4.10s actually increases top speed.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

You do not lost driveability. I know I just had mine done and Iam planning to write about this later. I'm going to work.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

I have 4.10s and you need too learn how to re drive your car at first. It is a heck of a lot easier to break them tires loose from take off. Once you get used to it it is a hoot. I have a great time with it. I know when i am on the interstate doing lets say 80 it is reving 300 rpms more so it down change it some. as for 1/4 miles time i have no idea. never tracked mine
Old 04-21-2007, 02:59 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

I had my at the track last week.I shaved off3/10's of a sec.I had lots of wheel spin and some wheel hop. Next mod newLCA's and abracket kit. The problem is getting theponies to the ground. Not up in smoke off the line.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 PM
dmustanggt
2nd Gear Member

question. why people with 4.10 win of hole but lose on a rolling race, even to an iferior car (et @ track)
Old 04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

for a 5 speed dont go with 4.10s..........................get 4.30s, they are SOHC with a .62 5th gear, even with it, you still wont have the power to top the car out, but when you do, you will be traveling 170 mph, it will be noticalby faster and loose about 3 mpg
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

When I first got in the car I was worried sick wondering if the driveability would be gone but it isn't in the least. I couldn't reallytell too much of a difference other than it gets through the gears quicker and that it revs like someone said earlier about 300 more rpm. I thought it was going to be monster and it wasn't. At 55 mph it revs at 2000 rpm. At 65 it revs at or about 2500 rpm. At 80 mph it revs right at 2800 rpm. It gets you there no doubt quicker however you don't have the mileage at ease that the 3:55's bring. I was told by someone at work that the top end would be effected by 10 to 15 mph the most. My question since I don't think I have a rev limiter on my tune would that be compensated? I'm going to write Brenspeed and see. Was it worth the money I would say yeah just burning unexpected guests at red lights or the track. If you don't really care about that then stick with the stock gears. One thing I have learned about this mod thing is that the CAI kit with tune gives you the most as far as performance and everything else is nickel and dime, unless you get the big Kahuna the supercharger which I haven't the money for. It's sad but the gears woke me up somewhat because your basically trying to get every bit of performance out of it and it is what it is and that is a 300 horsepower engine. I just as soon have a normally aspirated engine at 370- horses or plus. This is my opinion. Another thing will the dealer you trade your car on will he be keen to these changes? **** I don't mean to be depressing but it's something to think about before some of you change things. Someone give me hollar and tell me their opinion on this.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think your pretty much right on the money.....

i'm going for the kahuna.....wish i went with it right
when i brought her home

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

When I first got in the car I was worried sick wondering if the driveability would be gone but it isn't in the least. I couldn't reallytell too much of a difference other than it gets through the gears quicker and that it revs like someone said earlier about 300 more rpm. I thought it was going to be monster and it wasn't. At 55 mph it revs at 2000 rpm. At 65 it revs at or about 2500 rpm. At 80 mph it revs right at 2800 rpm. It gets you there no doubt quicker however you don't have the mileage at ease that the 3:55's bring. I was told by someone at work that the top end would be effected by 10 to 15 mph the most. My question since I don't think I have a rev limiter on my tune would that be compensated? I'm going to write Brenspeed and see. Was it worth the money I would say yeah just burning unexpected guests at red lights or the track. If you don't really care about that then stick with the stock gears. One thing I have learned about this mod thing is that the CAI kit with tune gives you the most as far as performance and everything else is nickel and dime, unless you get the big Kahuna the supercharger which I haven't the money for. It's sad but the gears woke me up somewhat because your basically trying to get every bit of performance out of it and it is what it is and that is a 300 horsepower engine. I just as soon have a normally aspirated engine at 370- horses or plus. This is my opinion. Another thing will the dealer you trade your car on will he be keen to these changes? **** I don't mean to be depressing but it's something to think about before some of you change things. Someone give me hollar and tell me their opinion on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.1 gear question