Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Im new to mustangs and need help w/ exhaust and intake mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
817 boy

Question Im new to mustangs and need help w/ exhaust and intake mods

OK im new to mustangs, but i got a 05 mustang gt last week.

I want a loud exhaust that will give me some HP gain. But here is the problem, Idk much about exhaust so can yall give me ideas on a good exhaust sytem that will be good for me.

So far im considering the SLP Loud Mouths axle back system, but Idk if I should leave on the stock H pipe or buy an aftermarket H pipe. I live in Texas, so I heard i have to leave on my cats.

I haven't looked into a CAI yet. Is there any out there that will give me some HP gain??? Im thinking of a K&N, but havent looked into any other cai yet.

p.s. Should I invest in Headers??? Can yall give me some ideas.

I appreciate any help

Last edited by 817 boy; 01-14-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

first off welcome to the most addicting drug money can buy.
the only thing thats going to net you a little bit of ponies when it comes to exhaust are headers. be prepared to spend a few dollars. you got BBK, OBX, JBA, Borla, Kooks, ARH, SLP, and im sure there are more. Now lets talk CAI. you know you will need a tuner with most CAI's. there are couple you dont need one with but they wont do much for you.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
817 boy

Originally Posted by abarker8541
first off welcome to the most addicting drug money can buy.
the only thing thats going to net you a little bit of ponies when it comes to exhaust are headers. be prepared to spend a few dollars. you got BBK, OBX, JBA, Borla, Kooks, ARH, SLP, and im sure there are more. Now lets talk CAI. you know you will need a tuner with most CAI's. there are couple you dont need one with but they wont do much for you.
will i need a tuner for a K&N CAI
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

im not sure. more than likely if you look at the product on the internet it will tell you if you need a tune. try looking at some of the websites that sponser MF and you will be led down the right track. try brenspeed or bamachips. or my personal favorite lethalperformance.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
817 boy

Originally Posted by abarker8541
im not sure. more than likely if you look at the product on the internet it will tell you if you need a tune. try looking at some of the websites that sponser MF and you will be led down the right track. try brenspeed or bamachips. or my personal favorite lethalperformance.

thanks bro. I looked on the K&N website but i didn't find nothing. here is the link

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2565
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

check out this link

http://www.brenspeed.com/632565.html
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

headers and o/r pipe will give you some gains, the axel backs flow well and you really will not get any power gain from them.

if you get a CAI/Tuner combo that will get u 25ish HP, if you do headers make sure the tuner you order froms knows that you have them so he can adjust the tune properly
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

The K&N CAI is designed to work w/o a tune, but like others said a tuneless CAI will not increase your engine's power as much as a tuned CAI will. In addition to the extra power, a tune will also eliminate the notoriously annoying throttle lag. Also, some owners got a lean code when using the K&N CAI w/o a tune, and ended up installing one anyway.
The most popular and best "bang for the buck" CAI/tuner package deals are from BamaChips, BrenSpeed, and Tillman.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

As mentioned - first mods should be the tuner/CAI combo from one of the above mentioned tuners/dealers.

After that, you can go all sorts of ways. Headers, CMCV deletes, turbo, blower, x-pipe, pulleys, etc.

or - you can attack the suspension issues to resolve wheel hop and get you launched cleaner.

Welcome to the family - you will be so addicted to mods within the next few hours that you'll wonder what you did before having a Mustang. LOL.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Check this out for exhausts: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...t-article.html

Unless you put headers on, the S197 breaths so well that most other exhaust mods provide no HP gain.

Look into CAI & tune combos from the Brenspeed and Bama websites. They write excellent tunes. The K&N with a tune probably won't give you quite the gain you'd get from others like the Steeda, JLT and C&L. A CAI alone provides minimal gain. The tune is the kicker.

Quick Reply: Im new to mustangs and need help w/ exhaust and intake mods