Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Granatelli CAI, what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Default Granatelli CAI, what are your thoughts?

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...play.php?gid=3

They claim that because they provide a calibrated MAF sensor with their kit that it truly is a bolt-on part and doesn't require a tune to be loaded. It makes logical sense, but I was wondering if anyone is using it or what anyone thinks about it.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

i have the polished aluminum version. not only is it the best looking intake that i have seen, it makes a huge difference in performance. and yes it comes with a calibrated sensor for the increased air flow so no tune is necessary. but i had to buy a tuner later on to recalibrate my speedo for bigger wheels and new gears. two years later, im still happy with it.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its true it wont need a tune but the gains from it are not that much in reality either. The real gains come from the tuner. CAI alone is maybe a 3rd of the gains that a good CAI/Tune combo net you.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've had one for quite some time. Not the polished version. I can't compare it to a "tuned" GT, but, I've been happy with it. Car seems perfectly happy to break traction with out me doing anything to assist, I don't pop the clutch, ever, but give it a strong stab from a rolling start or hit it hard in second and it is quite willing to get up and go. I've only turned off the traction control device once or twice. In CA where I got to have more fun driving, my Screaming Yellow rear end was always getting tire dust all over it.

Lastly, I felt uneasy about the way the module fit in the harness, didn't seem tight enough, worried about connection being broken. I wrapped in bicycle tube and strapped with nylon ties.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
its true it wont need a tune but the gains from it are not that much in reality either. The real gains come from the tuner. CAI alone is maybe a 3rd of the gains that a good CAI/Tune combo net you.
+1

Put your $$ towards a CAI & tune combo from Brenspeed or Bama. It'll probably give you roughly an additional 15 RWHP over the Granatelli.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I bought the granatelli and it added a lot of power. The recalibrated MAF sensor is ALMOST like a tune, but i ended up buying the tuner also because i needed other things changed. If i had to do it again, i would just have bought the intake/tuner combo used from craigslist or these forums. It looks very very nice but i'm not worried about how it looks, but how it performs. It definitely adds more than other intakes that do not require a tune.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

from what i understand, the tuner that comes with a cai/tuner package is used to recalibrate the computer and maf sensor for the increase in air flow so the car does'nt run lean. instead granatelli sends an oem maf sensor that has already been calibrated for the increase in flow thus eliminating the need for a tuner. is'nt that essentially the same thing? nothing against tuners, i have one , and use it often.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

There is alot more that goes into the tune than changing the airflow rate

Timing
fuel trims
spark
etc
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

yea, thats true. i ended up buying a tuner later on for adjusting those things plus other stuff. i guess i have an expensive " cai/tuner" combo after all!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Some tuning shops won't write tunes for the Granatelli CAI. Check with your preferred tuner first.

Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI, what are your thoughts?