Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any last minute words of advise for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
That sucks, I thought everyone said the passenger side header was hardest, guess I'll find out in a bit... I went to Fort Walton Beach for vacation last year in July.. nice place!!
thats what i went into the install thinking, i think its just the starter on that side can be a real pain, work space on the driver side is why i think its harder. so hard to get at some of those screws. also forgot to mention i needed 3 O2 extenders, only had 2 thinking thats all i needed so i had to make my own out of the stock ones by splicing them together to make it longer.

BTW i have JBA LTs with MAC O/R Prochamber
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Well I got the driver side header and motor mount in. That bolt on the steering rack was a hoachy mommy. Other than that the drivers side wasn't too bad, some of the header bolts are definatly harder to get at. I didn't have any problems with the starter at all. I haven't put the mid pipe on yet so I'll wait til tomorrow late morning to fire it up with open headers. Now I'm off to get a much need shower and put some ointment on my sliced up hands!! Oh... my headers ore the ceramic coated Pacesetters. They are really good quality and fit like a glove. Can't beat the price and made in the USA too!!! I got the headers and hpipe for $440 shipped... brand new!!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Haven't heard from the op.. hope his install is going good.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
brady_f
2nd Gear Member

Is it necessary to remove the steering shaft?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

DONE! Started at 11am, just got home, its 1230 am (13 hours) omg... nightmare, will let you all know in the morning, need shower and sleep
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brady_f
Is it necessary to remove the steering shaft?
I tried to get the header in there without removing the steering shaft
and it was no where close to going in. The steering shaft came off easy it was the bolt on the steering rack that was a pain.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
DONE! Started at 11am, just got home, its 1230 am (13 hours) omg... nightmare, will let you all know in the morning, need shower and sleep

Sweet, glad you got it done!!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 AM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by abarker8541
you do know we want vids right? and if you do happen to type out a tools list that would be frickin super. once again good luck i hope by now you are deep into the process and lovin it.
stock manifolds.. 13mm
starter.. 10mm
motor mounts.. 13mm and 15mm
steering rack... 18mm
steering shaft.. 13mm

wratchet wrenches in 13mm and the size of your new headers bolts are a good idea, 13, 15, 18 mm deep well sockets, swivel, and alot of extensions and you should be good.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ok, the hardest part for us was the fact that the stock manifold bolts arnt just one piece bolts like you would think, but instead looks like they thread just the threaded part in, put the manifolds in place, then a nut goes down on the threads. So when we were taking off the nuts only one of the threads came off with the nut on either side. So after hours of fustration getting the nuts off, we couldnt pull the manifolds off cause there isnt enough space to both pull them away from the block and slide them out. So now we are there with a tiny 5mm socket and a small ratchet, unthreading the headless bolts out of the block 1 to 2 clicks on the ratchet at a time.. all 14 that were left.

After all that it would have been smooth sailing for the rest of it, if not for the motor mount on the passanger side my father in law was working on. He had unbolted the mount from the block, but the block wasnt really being held up as much as we had thought, so he found it very hard to get the mount to go back on the block... So appearntly my passenger side mount has 2 1/2 bolts holding it in out of 4. I am going to have to take it to a shop that can actualy get the thing up in the air and have them put the mount back on right.

So in the end, I did get everything on but my install turned out much more labor intensive and time consuming then I thought. If I had it to do again, I would probably just pay to get it done... lol, but if I were going to do it again, i would make sure I had a better plain to get it up much higher off the ground. Knowing what I know now, I am sure if I did it again it would take half the time and have less problems, cause I now know the solutions before I get the problems.

Last edited by JDWalton; 01-18-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Here's a vid with open headers..

Quick Reply: Any last minute words of advise for me?